• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top hinge on wing windows

Bronco gold

Ok so my lower L hinge with the spring rusted out and I've got those parts but when it came apart my upper hinge popped off of the glass frame. How does it get attached? Spot weld, stainless mig? I have tried glass and auto body shops in and around Vancouver wa with no luck

OP
OP
B

Bronco gold

Really,, nobody has ever had to fix the top pivot hinge on their wing window? Does everyone just buy a new 300 dollar replacement from the bronco shops

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Do you have the black painted steel wind wings or the stainless steel framed wind wings? the hinges are stainless on both and to repair your only choice is pulling the wind wing assembly and removing the glass from the frame and having the hinge heliarc welded back on. then reinstall the glass. there are usually several used windwings assembly available from rusted out doors. You have to pull the glass from the frame anyway to replace the lower pivot assembly.

OP
OP
B

Bronco gold

Thanks rusty truck, I had just talked to my dad about that and he also said heli arc after I disassemble the glass. Thanks for the reply

Jfryjfry

Getting that glass out is nerve-wracking. Using wood blocks, I held the glass in a vise and caaarreefully pried the frame off.

Order a new set of the rubber gaskets that goes between the window and the glass. Triple-check the angle of the frame to the glass before reinstalling. It is easy to bend and open up the angle when removing. In fact, I’d bend it so it is a little tighter than the glass’ angle. So the ends don’t stick up.

If you don’t you’ll end up taking it all apart again when you realize the now-framed window won’t fit in the door frame. If you’re really impatient you’ll end up doing it 3 times, tearing the rubber on the third time and paying rush shipping for a second replacement set and having to apologize to your wife for being so grumpy at dinner.

And might as well order new pivots too.

But the pivots are riveted on and take a special tool. I ended up welding mine to the frame. Mig welder. No problem. I welded it so that if, in the distant distant future some poor sap (hopefully not me) has to replace it, the welds are easy to grind off with a cutting disk.

With that in mind, perhaps you can weld the top hinge as well??? Not sure. If the experts say it needs to be heliarced then I’d do that. But mig might be worth a shot.