• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OR Toploader 4 speed or AX15 conversion

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Want a car trans for strictly having fun banging thru the gears on the street OR do you want a trans with not only OD for cruising down the highway with decent rpms but also a lower first gear to actually be able to go off road and start off on steep incline without riding the clutch for 10' ??

I'm voicing experience as I ran a toploader for years back in the '80s early 90's and had a TON of fun with it... however, it is not conducive to anything that has an incline. lol
I got really good at taking off in 2WD low range and shifting into high range on the fly and then continue on. But with a true HP 289 in front of it and shifting at 7K everywhere I went it was fun (but axles didn't last long).

My short answer is the same as Steve's... AX all the way.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Leaning towards the AX, thanks Steve and Brian for the input. The info about inclines is important to consider. It will be a mostly street truck but don't want to limit its use.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I've ran both in my Bronco. AX15 all the way!! The toploader was decent, but the linkage would bind off road sometimes, where as the AX15 has a shifter that goes right into the top of the tranny. Plus on the AX15, you get a lower first gear AND a 5th gear for the highway