• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torch weld floor pans?

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Hey y'all, I'm planning my projects for the next couple of months, and the forecast calls for welding. :cool:

I know nothing about welding, but my buddy can torch weld. He says he "academically knows how to MIG weld, but no practical application experience".

So, can floor pans and track bar drop brackets and that sort of thing be torch welded, or do we need to look at a MIG set up?

Oh, and can a roll cage be torch welded? I'm guessing there is a strength difference between MIG, TIG, and torch welding, but I have no idea.

Thanks!

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Havre De Grace, MD
When you say torch weld, I'm assuming you mean brazing. I would recommend buying a cheap MIG welder and practice plug welding (drill holes along the mating surface of the new floor pan, install temporary sheet metal screws and plug weld each of them. It will be stronger than a braze.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not assuming brazing.

Ody-Acetylene welding heats the surrounding metal too much, sheet metal WILL warp.

Get a MIG welder and learn how to use it, it's pretty easy to learn really.

Many here will push the 220v welders, and they are good, but for sheet metal repairs even the 110v cheapo welders will do the job.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
No, not brazing. He welds with an oxy acetylene torch setup. But, to your larger point, I'm sure a MIG weld is stronger, based on the 30 minutes of research I just did.

There's a Chicago Electric MIG welder on craigslist near me for $120. Might fit the bill.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
There are 110v MIG welders that would work for a roll cage but I would not expect that Chicago Electric one to be enough.
Other work like building a bumper or working on a frame will probably be too much for most if not all 110v welders.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If I remember correctly most roll bar manufacturers recommend 220 volt .035 mig wire setup. 110 volt mig welders are fine for most all your sheetmetal work. Yea that torch would play havoc on your sheetmetal. Pick up a cheap mig welder and play around with it and you would be able to plug weld pretty good. Ken

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What I would do with a roll cage is tack weld it then take it to a professional welding shop.
I believe a 110v welder would do tack welds good enough to hold position for that.

mrdrnac

Contributor
What I would do with a roll cage is tack weld it then take it to a professional welding shop.
I believe a 110v welder would do tack welds good enough to hold position for that.

Exactly what I did with my half cab cage from Extreme, I cut and fitted mine exactly as I wanted it to fit, then tacked it together and took it to a Pro for the finish welding, He only charged me $75 to do it. Looks really good, much better and stronger than I could have done myself!

RPM289

If your buddy is a good gas welder he can do cage, many old airframe's on fabric covered aircraft were welded with a torch. I have welded sheetmetal with a torch but you need to get some heat diverting paste from a welding supply store but you will still get some warpage even with it so i would get the MIG for floors I would not try 110 on cage unless you have a good MIG welder guy to do it hard to build enough heat, A 220 MIG is easier but you still need to get a good burn in or it will break.

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
My buddy just told me he has an old MIG welder he inherited. Not sure if its 110, 220, or if it will blow us up when we fire it up. :)

Regarding welding the cage, is that something best left to a professional, or if he's moderately competent, is that something he can do? I don't know how much technique there is to welding, beyond some welds look better than others.

Thanks, y'all!

kiteoregon

I am descent with a MIG, I will weld just about anything, but when it comes to the cage, a professional weld is the only option in my opinion. That's one of those things you don't want to find out when used that the welds were not great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
I am descent with a MIG, I will weld just about anything, but when it comes to the cage, a professional weld is the only option in my opinion. That's one of those things you don't want to find out when used that the welds were not great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good point, and along the lines of what I was originally thinking.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
For welding a cage go to a professional.
It is not only about the welds being pretty, the welds need to have enough penetration to be strong.

Weld failure on a cage will most likely occur at the worst possible time, when it needs to hold together to keep you alive.

75302auto

Main diff between the 110v and 220v migs is the thickness of the metal. The 110v will weld up to 3/16" thick steel. Anything thicker must be "v" cut and double welded with the 110 setup.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can rent a mig at home depot. A better mig than you would anti up for.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
IF you have anything that affects your steering, strg linkages, brakes, brackets for suspension and if you aren't a good enough welder to weld a cage, definitely do not weld any of the above mentioned things on your rig either.

Whew...a cage failure probably only kills you (what a terrible thing to say)...a strg linkage failure, a suspension bracket failure probably puts many others and you in a life threatening situation...

Be careful guys! just saying... : )

PaveBronco

like was said, go buy a cheap one to learn and practice.. I got a cheap Harbor Freight one, after 5 years a got gas for it, wish I'd done that from day one, especially for learning, and about 4 years after that if finally quit..and I used and abused that thing. I'd say I got my moneys worth...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
OR, look for a good quality one that is used. I just stepped up from my Hobart Handler 150 to a Miller 211...

BTW, my Hobart is for sale... terrible sales plug but... : ) Still welds good, just needed a machine with more capacity for the 1/2" and up stuff I'm welding...

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
I had never considered learning to weld, but this post has me thinking I should! Thanks for all of the tips! Definitely won't weld the cage ourselves, but we'll give it a go with the floor pans and anything else not mission critical. Now I've got a basic understanding of the difference between 110 and 220 welders. Anything else I should be on the lookout for as I look for a welder? Nvrstuk, shipping from WA to NC would be a bit pricey! :)