• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trac Bar Bushing (safety question)

Brimstone

Loc.
Virginia Coast
Seems I am one step closer to finally getting this vechile safety inspected in the State of VA. The last time (4th time) they said I needed to replace the bushings on teh Trac Bar before they will pass it for inspection...(if this keeps up I will have replaced EVERYTHING on this Bronco...)

I just had a safety question: I know the Trac Bar maintains lateral satiblity of the vehicle. Do I need to take any safety precautions before I remove the bolts and replace the bushing... Don't want to be jerking on the bolt and then have the truck slide sideways....I know this sounds like a stupid question but the wife is out of town and I don't want to be found under the truck a week later...

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its no big deal the body may move over a little when the bolt is removed but not dangerously. unless you have a very tall lift and the no drop brackets. Then it could shift a lot but still only the body will shift no real danger IMO.

70_Steve

Old Guy
As broncnaz says, the frame and body may shift just a little when you remove one end or the other, since it is the track bar that locates the differential under the frame. But there's no danger of the truck falling on you.

Conversly, when reinstalling the track bar, typically you would install the differential end first, then raise the frame end into position. To assist in re-aligning the bolt and track bar bushing, just turn the steering wheel. The drag link will pull or push the frame to one side or another.

OP
OP
B

Brimstone

Loc.
Virginia Coast
Thanks guys!!!! Even though the wife is pissed right now about the Bronco I don't think she wants me dead....yet!! She says I still have "earning potential"...

Thanks again