• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trail tools and sizes

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
Hi all,

I'm getting tired of taking tools out of my roll-away box and putting them in my Bronco, just to put them back in the roll-away when I get home. So, I'm going to build a set of trail tools to stay in my Bronco. So, I have a bunch of questions to pick your minds about:

1) What is the smallest wrench/socket size you think is neccesary?
2) What is the largest wrench/socket size you think is neccesary?
3) Like most folks, I don't have a ton of money. For my roll-away, I have mostly craftsman tools. Is there anything cheaper that you would reccomend for trail tools that would rarely be used? I want something that will still be dependable. For example, I had a cheap Harbor Freight socket set once and split out a socket the first time I used it. This wouldn't be acceptable on the trail.
4) Any need for a 1/4 inch drive socket set? I was thinking 3/8 and 1/2 would be sufficient.

Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I bought a craftsmen tool set something around 300 piece set (standard and metric). That I always carry in my bronco. I then added a second set of wrenches for those times when you need the same size for both ends of a bolt. I only cary up to a 1" wrench and use a large crescent wrench for anything larger on the trail. I have also added various tools that are needed like snap ring pliers, hub socket, some picks to help get he front hubs apart, some punches, pliers, and of course a BFH. I keep it in two side mount boxes (that woul d hang off the sides of a roll away) that fit nicely between the tailgate and rear fenders. As far as cheaper tools you usually get what you pay for. Craftsmen tools are priced very competatively for there level of quality. The harbor freight wrenches seem to work OK, I put them in my work trucks because my employees seem to loose them faster than they can break them, I don't use there sockets or ratchets. There impact sockets seem to hold up though.
I rarely use the 1/4" sockets but they are cheap and don't take up that much room so I carry them.
I have also had good luck with Husky tools (Home Depot) but they aren't really any less expensive than craftsmen. If you don't have a 5.0 motor that has metric and SAE you can save some money by buying only a SAE set.

Attachments

• toolboxs.jpg
    toolboxs.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 67

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
One of the most used sets of tools I've had on the trails is a Crescent set that was purchased at either Sams Club or Costco. It cost about $50 and has a fairly large variety from 1/4" up to 1/2". It also has a case that holds each tool so it's easy to tell if all of them are back in it. In addition to this I find that all of the tools for pulling the hubs are a necessity and I keep them together in one box. (Allen driver for the lockouts, snap ring pliers, pick for the inner ring, hub socket, allen socket for the caliper, etc.) I also carry a breaker bar and 13/16 socket for lug nuts (I don't carry a star wrench as it takes up more room and only works for the lugs while the socket and breaker bar serve other duties as well) I have a box that is specifically for large sockets and wrenches that includes any wrench or socket needed for tie rods, knuckles, yokes, spring mount bolts, pitman arm bolt, etc. These go from 7/8 up to about 1 5/16. Most of the tools are similar in quality to the Craftsman stuff although a few are Snap On, Mac, etc. and a few are cheap stuff that I just toss out when they break.

Oh, I also carry a 15" crescent wrench and a large pipe wrench. Both see a lot of use.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Proto and SK are both decent brands. We use to sell a lot of Proto Tools years ago when I was a shipping clerk for an industrial supply warehouse. SK I think is common at parts houses. They are both at least as good as Craftsman stuff. Perhaps better as I am not always impressed with the Craftsman quality beyond the warranty which is about as good as it gets. Not sure about Blackhawk stuff.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Proto and SK are both decent brands. We use to sell a lot of Proto Tools years ago when I was a shipping clerk for an industrial supply warehouse. SK I think is common at parts houses. They are both at least as good as Craftsman stuff. Perhaps better as I am not always impressed with the Craftsman quality beyond the warranty which is about as good as it gets. Not sure about Blackhawk stuff.

I like both as well and the proto torque wrenches are one of the better ones out there.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I stick with the cheapest tools with a lifetime warranty for my trail gear.

Stanley, Ace Hardware brand, and some of the ones from Tractor Supply are what you'll find in my tool bag.

I get them from Wal Mart, Ace, and TSC mostly. They're reliable, reasonably strong, and cheap enough that if I loan one out and don't get it back, or lose it on the trail, I won't be too upset about it.

I carry wrenches from 5/16 on up to 1-1/8", sockets from 3/8 up to 7/8", pliers (slip joint, needlenose), dikes, a hammer, crescent wrenches and stuff like that.