• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trail tools....tips on storage?

Cavalry

Loc.
I HATE UPSTATE NY
I have way too many trail tools.... Currently everything gets crammed in a 20" carry box. That is getting pretty old. Whatever you need is onthe bottom. When you dig through it, crap gets all wet and muddy.

I have been thinking about bolting a 4 drawer top box in the back. That way I can lock it up and keep it orgnized and dry. Seems though it will be a horrific rattle trap, and the drawers will get jammed with everything bouncing around side to side.
The only things I have come up with so far is to do wrench rolls, and socket boxes (like the ones that come with SK tools)

What is everyone doing?

svens70

Loc.
Oregon, IL
I've started collecting "Gatemouth" canvas bags that are made by Bucketboss. They make various sizes and are very heavy duty. One for recovery gear, one for spare parts, couple for tools, etc... Keeps stuff together absorbs the rattles.

I've been looking at some of the newer fishing tackle boxes for organizing smaller stuff. The softsided ones with removeable partitioned boxes would be perfect for hardware, bulbs, fuses, etc.

IMHO, drawers are trick looking until you need to get to something and your trucks nose up or backed up against a tree or rock. :eek: If the tail gate can't be lowered, you're SOL.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
Ive been using a 4-drawer Craftsman for many years, and i can honestly say its crap. Every time we go wheelin' i say to myself im going to come up with something different, but it slips my mind when we get home. The rattles are horrendous, the drawers jam, and it seems the one little socket you need always gets stuck behind a drawer. Now everything on it is loose and the drawers wont slide right- it just wasnt meant for offroad use.

I think im gonna go with one of the bigger cheap Walmart plastic toolboxes. A friend of mine uses one and its nice and quiet and trouble free.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here is what I did.
I have one large box bolted to the front of my trailer. Approx. 48 x 20 x 10. This holds a 48" Hi Lift, a large aluminum floor jack, hitches, tie down straps, and a few of the other things that don't fit well in smaller boxes such as a grease gun. Carried on the trail with me at all times I have one long plastic box that is about 22" x 6" x 4". This holds a breaker bar, large wrenches and common deepwell sockets. (Plus any other tool too big to fit elsewhere) The 13/16" deep socket is attached to a short extension so that I have everything for taking a tire off right there. I then have one plastic box with a double stacking removable tray. It is about 20"W x 12"H x 10"D. The top tray holds a variety of small tools that get lost easily among other tools plus a few small parts. The next tray holds everything needed to pull out a hub plus a few small parts and commonly used tools like the 3/8" allen socket for the front brakes and rear diff plug. The bottom of the box either contains sockets or wrenches. (My other plastic box holds the other) The other box I use is the same width and depth but isn't as high. (It goes in first and the other behind it next to the tailgate) The top of the box contains small parts and other small tools that are not used very often The bottom has either wrenches or sockets as mentioned above. Both boxes contain a hammer however the one I normally use is in the same box as the hub tools. Recovery gear is in a variety of locations. Leather gloves (4 or 5 pair) are tucked into the door inserts where they are always handy along with the remote for the winch. The snatch block and straps (A 12' tree saver and a 20' tow strap) are tucked into the back on the side. On the opposite side I have my air hose tucked in next to the CO2 tank. I usually have a quart of ATF stuck in the air vent and then a quart of oil tucked into one of the inserts. Jumper cables are in a round bag specifically for them tucked under the passenger seat. I also have a fairly good sized soft first aid kit tucked under there as well. Hmm.. What else? A funnel tucked down on the side in the engine bay and a small shovel tucked up along the side in the back. I also have two larger mag lights mounted up front. One on top of the tunnel and one just inside the drivers door. To contain all of the stuff in the back I have a shelf even with the bed that covers the entire area between the rear seat and the tailgate. With everything set up this way everything is relatively easy to get to without any digging. Most of the stuff I use all of the time is either within arms reach or can be accessed by simply opening the tailgate. In the event I need to carry more than this like axles and other spare parts then I can tuck them in along the sides on the back or I can tie them to top of the shelf in back in a crate using the eye bolts on it. (Also handy for tying down an ice chest for cold drinks and sandwiches)