• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case is stuck in neutral; won't go to 2WD. Suggestions?

Goldhawg

My transfer case is stuck in neutral. Will move up easily to 4WD Lo, but not down into 2WD no matter how hard I pull on it. Going up and down repeatedly doesn't seem to help. Obviously the linkage is above so I'm shooting in the blind, but I've tried spraying the heck out of the linkage w/liquid wrench.

I've never really driven it in 4WD (too busy w/EFI conversion fiascos), but a guy was looking to buy it in the summer and think he put it in 4WD to check and he verified it worked. I didn't really drive it this fall (cuz of other issues, which I've now mostly solved). But the other day the salt was finally off the road so I tried driving it and the front tires were balking around turns and I noticed it was in 4wd lo. I was able to finally force it out of 4wd lo, but it must have overshot and is now in neutral and cannot get back in.

Appreciate suggestions. This bronco hates me...with a passion.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Unlock the hubs, let it roll backwards while trying to pull it into 2H. Sometimes you have to rock them.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
But the other day the salt was finally off the road so I tried driving it and the front tires were balking around turns and I noticed it was in 4wd lo. I was able to finally force it out of 4wd lo, but it must have overshot and is now in neutral and cannot get back in.

Appreciate suggestions. This bronco hates me...with a passion.

How far / long did you drive around like that ??

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now you know why twin sticking is soo popular.

How did you not realize it was in low in the first 10 feet ?