• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

transmission crossmember modification

dave p

I am changing my 3 speed to AOD and have modified my cross member. I know I have to move it to the rear 1 1/2 inches but does it stay at the same height on the frame? I am using the advanced adapter. TIA

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
If you look at your frame "L" brackets, they tilt slightly to the back when mounted to the frame...
I did an AOD conversion 16 yrs ago using the factory "L" bracket with a plate welded to the top of it to get the 1.5" set back needed.

When I did a 4R70W conversion, I bought 4" angle iron on made my own longer "L" brackets.

I hope the pictures help some...

Attachments

• DSCN3550.JPG
    DSCN3550.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3489.JPG
    DSCN3489.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3494.JPG
    DSCN3494.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN3500.JPG
    DSCN3500.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN3557.JPG
    DSCN3557.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
D

dave p

Nice work, so it will stay the same height from the top of the frame as the original? It just needs to be moved back 1 1/2 inches. And thank you.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Nice work, so it will stay the same height from the top of the frame as the original? It just needs to be moved back 1 1/2 inches. And thank you.
Approximately the same height... You want to maintain the slight drop angle down that the factory had.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
When I put an AOD into this '75, I clearanced the crossmember to fit (using the poly mounts & shims), then bolted the original L-brackets on, used a jack to set the angle I wanted, then drilled new holes in the frame. I installed nuts through holes in the bottom of the frame (which are also good for drainage so it doesn't rust inside).

(click this text)

(click this text)

(click this text)

(click this text)

In hindsight, I could have installed the nuts through a single hole in each frame bottom.