• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trick Flow upper/lower intake for 5.8L EFI Help

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
I'm ordering this trick flow upper/lower intake combo for my 351W EFI set up. Have any of u guys used this one (i know it's a little pricey)? However, i've had great experience w/ trick flow components in the past. I have a 2" BL and since it's a "low profile" intake, i'm hoping it fits under my hood.

I'm also using a BBK 75 mm Throttle Body, a 75mm MAF, and 24lb injectors. Using the A9L computer and Ryans Wiring harness... Do you guys (EFI experts) see anything wrong w/ this setup or do i need to use smaller injectors, throttle body, etc?

Luke

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I used a TF upper/lower combo on a project a few years ago and it did fit with a 2" BL and a fiberglass hood. I believe it would have fit without the hood, but it's been a while..... I used the same lower, but a different upper.

Watch over-tightening the upper to lower bolts, especially the ones at the ends. I torqued one down to spec and had it snap the ear off. I ended up having it TIG'd back on, but it was a PIA. Just a suggestion, but don't torque them down very much.
Joe

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
a 70mm TB would be large enough. even a 65mm before a 75mm. 24# squirters are a good choice. it will run w/o a custom tune but if you want it to run right you will need a custom tune.

OP
OP
z70what

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
the trick flow Upper is a 75mm bore.. that's why i figured i had to go w/ the 75 mm Throttle Body. Is this too much for my 351w? If so, i need to find a different set of intakes..

let me know your thoughts.

Luke

rtreads

Loc.
...X2 on the tune. Dont rule out not having to do that. I have my 5.8 running after the EFI swap, and it is rich. Just like predicted with the 5.0 mustang computer overcompensating for the additional air moving thru the MASS. The computer adds more fuel to adjust for the larger air volume, and whamo- its too rich. I will be getting a tune once I get it put back together to drive it any real distance.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I did not go the TF route due to costs, and the fact I had a bunch of stockpiled stuff from years of junk yard scrounging. I have read that the TF and the factory HO(65 mm) upper with the BCB adapter on a 351 truck intake will fit under a stock hood, but I have a 2 inch body lift, with orig motor mounts, and the vac port on the TB still rubs the factory hood. Like it was posted earlier, it may run rich which will be noticible at idle with 24lb injectors, but it can be custom tuned. The main thing about running 24lb injectors is to have a MAF that is calibrated to 24lb injectors, and to have a shield in place to keep the air from the fan washing out the MAF sensors. I have been running my setup for about a month now and have been averaging about 10 mpg. I am considering dropping back to 19lb injectors to see what happens. Keep in mind also that most of this HP and torque will be noticible in the upper rpm ranges, so anything beyond a 70mm tb system is pretty much wasted with our 92 inch wheel based hotrods. That is unless you are a white knuckeled dragster freak with ice water in your veins!!!