• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tricky fuel pump bolt question

RollTideMach

Loc.
Birmingham, AL
Is there a way to get to the rear mechanical fuel pump bolt without removing the PS pump or draining the oil and removing the oil filter? This little sucker is all that is holding me up from replacing the pump.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I dought it but when you go back in you can sometimes buy a bolt that has a smaller head on it .. Some of the fuel pumps I sold had them with them .. Most likely don't in today world. But I think the regular bolt has 9/16 head but you can fine a 3/8 bolt with a 7/16 head .. that has helped at times..Get a buddy with very small hands.. Buy him a Burger King hamburger for his pay....

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's tedious but I just use an end wrench. I tighten the pump tight using only the front bolt then all you need to do is screw in and thghten the other in. Once I used allen bolts. That worked great but when the pump went out on the trail, I had only sockets and end wrenches. Standard bolts are better overall.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Shouldn't be a problem spinning off the oil filter, especially if the engine is cold. No need to change the oil. Get it out of your way and life should be easier. The smaller headed bolts are a good idea. The friend with the tiny hands and burger king is pretty funny.

OP
OP
R

RollTideMach

Loc.
Birmingham, AL
I didnt know you could take the oil filter off without dumping out a good bit of oil. I guess cause its so low in my mustang you cant but i will try that.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Some oil will come out but not very much. Just enough to make a small mess. the quicker you are the better.

OP
OP
R

RollTideMach

Loc.
Birmingham, AL
Thanks Bax that did the trick. Got a 1/4" rachet, 5" extension, 1 universal joint, and a 9/16" socket just behind the PS pump. Getting the oil filter out of the way gave me just enough room to work the socket wrench.