• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trouble shifting into 2nd gear (manual trans) - Advice?

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
I have been having trouble getting my new (to me - 1969) Bronco to shift into second gear. I have tried adjusting the clutch, but it still seems to be a problem. Basically, it goes into 1st and 3rd no problem, but it is really tough to get it into 2nd. The strange thing was that the problem was worse when I used a different shift lever (stick). I guess that I may need to adjust my shift linkage or is this a sign that the clutch is giving up the ghost (it will shake when I start in first and I don't give it just the right amount of gas, and it really shakes in reverse)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
What comes to mind is shift linkages out of whack,clutch is worn, engine to bell housing bolts or bell housing to trans bolts are loose. Bad thing is that the syncros may be gone in the tranny.

bambam

Loc.
Salt Lake City, UT
mine has the exact same problem. at least i dont have to worry about someone stealing mine. theyll try to shift into second and wont be able to figure it out and ditch it. :)

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
probably in the shift linkage. What brand of shifter is it? James Duff sell nice short throw shifter kits. It is a modified hurst kit and seems to work better than the others.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I had the same problem,I d*cked around with the shifter to no avail.....it turn out to be bad syncros :(got a rebuilt for around $400....but now I'm saving up for a ZF.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Sounds more like syncros taking a sh!t. Mine did this and eventually when it would go into second, it got stuck. Took a pry bar to get it out. Ditch the 3 speed pos and go auto or 4-5 speed. I went to a c4...

OP
OP
J

JuanGrande

Loc.
Davis (the republic of...) near Sacramento
Thanks for the advice everyone - the transmission was rebuilt within the last two years (i just bought this beast). I had hoped that it might be the clutch but I couldn't figure out why it would only be problematic going into one gear. The shifter is a Duffy (short throw). Oh-well, I will add this to the list of things to fix. Right now I am dealing with installing power steering. Next will be timing chain and water pump (preventative maintance), then disc brakes. I guess that I will add a transmission/clutch to the list - I may just take it into a trans shop and get it checked out. Thanks again for the thoughts.<br><br>Jon