• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tub / Body Replacement Experiences, Details, Build Threads?

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Hi, I've been searching the site for detailed threads about replacement bodies. All I can come up with are a few short threads about who to choose with one or two pictures on carts. Can anyone point me in the direction of some build threads using replacement tubs or other more in depth conversations about exactly what it was like? I'm considering whether to take my chassis somewhere and have them drop a painted body on or ordering a tub delivered and taking final panel alignment approval into my own hands, then finding a local shop to prep and paint. Thanks for the time.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I don't recall any threads on doing a "bought" tub, but basically it's no different than an frame off restoration. You (or someone) has to completely disassemble your current EB and I do mean completely!!! Bagging, tagging and photographing all the parts and pieces, then you (or someone) has to put all those parts and pieces back on the new tub.
The term "new tub" can mean just the tub, then there's doors, fenders, tailgate, grill, hood and windshield frame. You'd need to verify all that with the tub mfg. They can be bought with the tub or you can use your old ones.
It's not a simple thing of setting a new tub on your chassis, I think that may be why so many folks repair their tub vs replacing// Good luck!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Thank you very much for the response. I was just hoping for some new tub specific experience sharing. I’m having a really hard time finding details.

891f68160d4c3dab0438988e2a776ada.jpg

kip60

Me too! I see a company called Steelhorse Design selling them. Out of Ohio. Curious if anyone has used them here.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Thanks, I’ve talked to most tub builders and seen a few examples in person, LAL included. I’m hoping to find some more detailed customer projects. Perhaps someone who ordered a tub from somewhere and took the build from there, or picked up a painted and mounted shell and finished it out from there.

Jamie Chriss

I built one from scratch, unless you have allot of skill and patience buy a new one, and better have them paint it for you! There is allot going on with the new metal that takes allot of knowledge.

BroncoBilly69

Loc.
Whiskeytown Ca
:D
Me too! I see a company called Steelhorse Design selling them. Out of Ohio. Curious if anyone has used them here.
Hey Kip, I haven't but thanks for the link- I'm in the market for a tub replacement also. There seems to be more and more tub & sheet metal manufacturers every day! I came across the Dynacorn website last week...They seemed to have promise...Hey Tab-Gonna subscribe to your thread. Curious to see what you turn up... Thanks!

NOTE: LOL- "that's bold talk for a one eyed fat man"...True Grit Wasn't it Lucky Ned Pepper who said that...?:D

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I built one from scratch, unless you have allot of skill and patience buy a new one, and better have them paint it for you! There is allot going on with the new metal that takes allot of knowledge.

Yeah, this is kind of the crux of it. I'm concerned about entering a blame game with the new repro parts. To me, if you've painted it, you needed to make they fit, just like I'm sure you did with your rebuild. I've seen a few painted bodies with issues that definitely needed addressed prior to the stage I saw them in. Kind of makes me think I at least need to see mine in primer before its too late. That being said, I haven't seen everyone's in person yet, with the delay with the Super Cel.
If I order a tub, I can pop spot welds, adjust, nitpick and obsess forever with no concerns over budget, shop space, or other demands. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of having to find my own shop to prep and paint from there. I haven't had a bit of luck with any of the shops I've tried in my area.

Benny

Loc.
Humble, TX
So I went with a new tub from Northeast Classic Ford Parts. Nick was great to work with as I have a '77 and wanted some of the '77 specific parts put on. However the parts that they use to build the tubs are the same ones we can all get from any supplier. So... some of the holes, and what not, might not be where you are expecting them to be. Also as you probably know with any repo parts sometimes it takes some fiddling to make them play nicely with the original parts. But with all that being said I am still very pleased I went this route. My tub was very rough and from a money and my skill level standpoint I was better off buying the tub. I'm not gonna lie I was a bit apprehensive about using a replacement tub but in all honesty if my tub got rebuilt it would have been 80-90% repo metal as it was.

Attachments

• IMG_4130.jpg
    IMG_4130.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4127.jpg
    IMG_4127.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 60988118225__0CBB9A4D-FE90-4161-A81A-C568ACD49F64.jpg
    60988118225__0CBB9A4D-FE90-4161-A81A-C568ACD49F64.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_6325.jpg
    IMG_6325.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 139

Kbpony

Benny, that looks really good! I did a total body replacement on my ‘77, and wish I’d have worked the fuel door in somehow. Mine is all glass, so I can’t comment to figment of the steel bodies. I can say that getting all the fiberglass to fit nice was a bit of a challenge and it took a professional body man to do it up right after I did my best. It didn’t help to get parts from at least three different manufacturers, either. One thing is for certain, whether steel or glass, our standards today are much higher than when these rolled off the line. If you want it to look better than new, it will take some tweaking.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Most of the trouble I’ve seen seems to come from the arch of the front fenders vs. the shape of the hood and grill to fender. Also, some look like they have trouble with the bottom of the fenders and rocker.
Where did you source the rest of your body? Where there any specific hurdles you could share? Did you hang the bolt on parts or have a local shop do it? Have you ever put a hard top on it?
You’ve been gracious with your time and I thank you for your response and pictures, I’m really pelting you with questions, so please don’t feel obligated to answer them. You’re only the second tub customer I’ve had a chance to corner! Truck looks great, Thanks again

Bronco4x4

I hope more tub feedback comes in. I am also curious. Not in the market for a tub but wondering how many hours were needed to get them correct. The aftermarket parts all need adjustment.

Benny

Loc.
Humble, TX
Benny,

That looks great. You've made a lot of progress. Who did you use to paint it?

A shop down in Pearland called South Coast Collision and Restoration. Guy named Louis. Super nice guy and an extremely hard worker. Really happy with his work.

Benny

Loc.
Humble, TX
Most of the trouble I’ve seen seems to come from the arch of the front fenders vs. the shape of the hood and grill to fender. Also, some look like they have trouble with the bottom of the fenders and rocker.
Where did you source the rest of your body? Where there any specific hurdles you could share? Did you hang the bolt on parts or have a local shop do it? Have you ever put a hard top on it?
You’ve been gracious with your time and I thank you for your response and pictures, I’m really pelting you with questions, so please don’t feel obligated to answer them. You’re only the second tub customer I’ve had a chance to corner! Truck looks great, Thanks again

The whole front end took lots of tinkering. The body shop did most all of the fitting then paint and then assembly. It came back as a painted empty shell. I had all the panels loosely fit when I dropped it off. As far as where the panels came from I don’t recall which vendors specifically as I have bought from many over the years as their deals would pop up. The top has not yet been on it but fingers crossed.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
You’re grill and fenders were aftermarket still though? You didn’t use any OEM?

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
tabors - Where are you located?

There are many Body / Tub builders around the country. Might come down to shipping cost for you.

I would recommend Nick at North East as well.

OP
OP
tabyers

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I'm in Indiana, but anything East of the Rockies is in play. I'm just trying to decide if I should get a tub shipped and figure it out locally from there or drop my chassis off and have a painted / trimmed shell set on. I've seen a few of the latter from a couple of different sources that made me think I should take quality control under my own roof, maybe even use my original hood/grille/front fenders. I don't know the full story on the ones I've seen, so I can't really pass full judgment on them, but something tells me I need to see it before it goes to paint at least. I've talked to Nick on the phone but haven't had a chance to see anything in person yet. He definitely asked all the right questions and I look forward to checking him out. Particularly something that he has sent off to paint. I'd love to find one shop to see to the body build/prep/trim/paint. That way, I only have to trust one guy!