• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tub Removal Questions

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Getting ready to start my project, so I'm looking for advice on removing the tub. What is the best way to lift it off? Just grab a few friends and heave? Is it necessary to reinforce anything prior to lift off? I'm planning to finish welding in the new inner and outer rockers before removal. I'll take any tips y'all can offer!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Make sure you tie the front door jamb to the back somehow or the front will flex at the floor. Some people weld a temp rod between the door jamb lips (under the weatherstrip) at the top of the door jamb. Others (like me) build a 90 degree jig and bolt it to the door hinge bolt holes and then back across the rear quarter panel/top bolt holes. You can see mine on my build thread "Barn find Restomod build". 4 guys can lift the tub of you take out the seats, top, tailgate, and doors.

Numberfool

Brace it across the doors, lift from as many points as possible.
I put a brace right across the top of the door frame with the doors. Don't lift too much just from the front clip or it will taco on you.

Measure everything before you take it off..l so you can compare after.

I pulled the body off my 71 this week and actually left the hard top on for support as well. Added weight though.

Two forklifts, plenty of straps and pads, couple of guys and 2 hours later....

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357199359.556957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357199359.556957.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 51

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
Definitely brace it. After we got mine off and on a cart it folded right behind the seats. I had a few guys and a engine hoist and it came off no problem.

Will

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
If I use an engine hoist, where should I locate the straps for lifting? After reading this I'll definitely weld a support at the doors. My 69 is a real rust bucket, so I imagine it would taco pretty badly.:-[

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Make sure you tie the front door jamb to the back somehow or the front will flex at the floor. Some people weld a temp rod between the door jamb lips (under the weatherstrip) at the top of the door jamb. Others (like me) build a 90 degree jig and bolt it to the door hinge bolt holes and then back across the rear quarter panel/top bolt holes. You can see mine on my build thread "Barn find Restomod build". 4 guys can lift the tub of you take out the seats, top, tailgate, and doors.
That's some great stuff on your build thread! Your bracing rig is a thing of beauty! Thanks for the help, and for the inspiration!

turbotim2

I lifted mine off with an engine hoist. I braced the tub with angle iron as others have described using bolts in the door hinge bolt holes and the rear bed rails, criss crossed the whole thing and then ran a piece down in the center and bolted through the two inner bulkhead holes. You may not have those so you can use the seat belt holes and then lifted it at that point. It was pretty easy and was able to do it alone.

beernut

Loc.
Hampton
If I use an engine hoist, where should I locate the straps for lifting? After reading this I'll definitely weld a support at the doors. My 69 is a real rust bucket, so I imagine it would taco pretty badly.:-[

I strongly suggest you fix most of the rust before taking it off the frame. It tends to stay more square with proper support.

-bn

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I agree, I didn't pull mine until all of the body work was done.

That was the plan. I already installed a new tailgate and I'm having issues getting it to line up. Y'all keep talking about using bolt holes that I haven't been able to get the broken bolts out of!:mad:

beernut

Loc.
Hampton
That was the plan. I already installed a new tailgate and I'm having issues getting it to line up. Y'all keep talking about using bolt holes that I haven't been able to get the broken bolts out of!:mad:

how are your body mounts? You may have to change them before you do any body work also.

-bn

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Body mounts appear to be serviceable. Haven't gotten a good look at the two in the rear yet. I've cut out the passenger side floor and aft of the seat bolts and I'm getting ready to do the other two when I get the driver's side floor pan out. Front two look good but I haven't messed with them yet. I want to get the inner and outer rockers replaced on the driver's side before I do anything else.