• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tube doors w/Midas insert (att. to cage)

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Has anyone made tube doors that attach to the roll cage rather than to the Midas door insert? Something different that I'm throwing around on paper right now...I'm still trying to figure out the hinge (bushings/tabs/swing clearance), but I figure I'd use quick release tooling pins for the latch.

Attachments

• Tube Door Option #1.jpg
    Tube Door Option #1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Tube Door Option #1 (2).jpg
    Tube Door Option #1 (2).jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I've had drawings in my day timer for a couple years now for this. My front legs tuck all the way behind the inserts. I was going to take several pieces of flat stock and make up my hinge line just inside the front of the insert well and use some lift off hinges to attach. In the rear I was going to tie to the cage about 3 inches down from the upper body line and then tie to the body flat for a little more rigidity and then maybe modify some kind of paddle latch to use. That way you can still run with a top.
Keep us up to date on your progress...

OP
OP
sstlaure

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I don't run a top (bikini top at most), and I was really just looking for something that will close out the door opening so that the heater can blow a little heat on my legs on the days I need it. (Summer can be crazy up here in MI)

The more I looked at it, the more I started leaning towards a soft door. I don't like the ones that are made for the inserts (crappy latch), as I intend to jump the crap out of this truck once it's done, I figure I'd tear those up in no time.

I think I've come up with a frameless design that is held in place with side-release type backpack buckles. I'm working on the driver's side first and I'll post pics once I'm done with this one. With not having a frame, when I don't want to run them, I'll just roll them up and throw them in the storage boxes I've got in the rear. They would attach on the inside surface of the insert.

If these work out, I'm going to work out some real trim patterns and may sell these. Any interest out there?