• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin Sticks with NV3550

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
I am having a transmission do the swap for me, gift from mom, but the guy is running into a problem getting the sticks to fit. Anyone done this sway with some progress pix? Wondering how much space is needed to cut out and also having a little trouble with bolt that holds the sticks together hitting the shifter.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
Which T-case do you have, J or T shift. I think T is pretty much bolt up and the J needs modification but I'm not sure. Do you have a body lift? 1" is recommended or things get pretty tight. Good luck.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I just installed my 3550,I have a T shift and haven't got to the twin stick install yet,But I remember reading somewhere that you may have to bend the sticks a little to clear,I hope to get to it soon,when I do I will post pics,good luck,Jim:cool:

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I just installed my 3550,I have a T shift and haven't got to the twin stick install yet,But I remember reading somewhere that you may have to bend the sticks a little to clear,I hope to get to it soon,when I do I will post pics,good luck,Jim:cool:

There's some variation between the twinstick kits as well. Also how much space is available between the dash and any center console (if exists). But yes, I had to bend my sticks due to these factors.

What problem is the shop having? It's either clearance for the sticks (as mentioned above), or linkage issues.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
When I bought my twin stick set up from Wild Horses, they had a specific application just for the NV3550 tranny.......went on fine.....no bending or anything. Maybe not all twin stick kits are made to work with the NV3550???? When I ordered, Dirt Donk took my order and made sure I got the correct kit. Maybe he could chime in or send him a PM.

Pops

OP
OP
Killer Frogs

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
I do have a 1" body lift and it is a T shift. The problem was room to bolt on the sticks where there was a nut that did not have room against the shifter. Thanks for the help.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
JB Fab will make a set to fit. Mine was sort of a special order when they made it. From what I understand, it's modified from their AOD variant.

01JLH

I did the twin sticks on my Nv3550/t shift case several years ago and I believe I used the JB fab ones. I had to lengthen the arms down on the bottom to get the link bars to be straight. They were angled up as the sticks came and did not shift well at all. Once I adjusted the length so that they were straight, they shifted like a dream. I guess the newer ones built specifically for the 3550 are probably already set up to put the link bars straight. Just check it first and you will be much happier with the results.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just got finished installing a AA kit for a friend with a J shift, I had to mod the twins by cutting a piece out of the base and welding them back. As for the bolt that holds the shifters it didn't even fit the shifters, I had to put in the lathe and turn it down. I put red loc-tite on the threads when I installed it. If I were gonna buy a kit I would get the one from Wild Horses, I believe theirs is better as far as fit is concerned. I think I took pics, I will look and see.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
Mine are JB Fab also.....couldn't remember which ones Wild Horsses sold.

NO body lift and T-shift, and again, no modifications to the sticks were needed.

Pops

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Wild Horses, as well as Jeff's Bronco Graveyard carries all models of our non-stock application stainless twin-stick shifters. As for the NV-3550/ZF model. yes, it is specific to the application. Over the last few years everyone's input here has allowed us to make some improvements over the original design.
One thing to consider in regards to this application is that the Advance Adapter kit allows for the re-clocking of the transfer case to three different positions. According to Advance Adapters the top position is the stock position, the feedback that we have gotten seems that most of them are being used in the stock position due to drive-line angle. We have designed our NV3550/ZF twin-stick to fit the stock position. Having said that, the "J" type shifter (due to Ford's shift-rail interface flags) will not tolerate re-clocking as the shift-rails get too close to the shifter pivot (decreasing the range of motion). The "T" type uses a spherical rod-end linkage which is much more forgiving, by just tweaking the the lower end of the shifter (to keep the linkage straight) it can be used in re-clocked applications.
If a customer has a re-clocked "J" type, our recommendation is that the flags be cut off the the shift-rails, holes be drilled in the shift-rails, and a "T" type shifter used.

Thank you for your feedback, and for the 15 years of business,
Jon

Attachments

• PB190212.jpg
    PB190212.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 58