• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Under Dash Leak

discoelk

Hey guys, im new to these boards but i just wanted to ask a quick question about an annoying problem ive experienced on my bronco and i was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows of a solution.
Heres the problem: Everytime it rains a large pool of water is found under the dash and in the floorboard of my bronco(a '72 , i dont think that makes any difference because the bodys are all almost identical). Could this leak be a problem of gaskets or is it comming in through the hinged windsheild?

Thanks, David

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
Your fresh air vent on the driver side or your windshield could be doing it , they both will leak , If it is only on the driver side the seal around the fresh air vent box is likely the problem . Water runs down and collects on the cowl under the hood and leaks around the air box .

Get it taken care of if your floorboards are still good !

68ford

Bronco Guru
i had a leak once where there is a seam on the cowl. i think its where a couple peices of the body come together. i just took rubberized undercoat and sprayed the whole cowl. seemed to seal it and it looks nicer now too?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
discoelk said:
Hey guys, im new to these boards but i just wanted to ask a quick question about an annoying problem ive experienced on my bronco and i was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows of a solution.
Heres the problem: Everytime it rains a large pool of water is found under the dash and in the floorboard of my bronco(a '72 , i dont think that makes any difference because the bodys are all almost identical). Could this leak be a problem of gaskets or is it comming in through the hinged windsheild?

Thanks, David

There is a flange on the cowl that is bent up toward the windshield. If the paint is cracked where it meets the firewall it may be leaking there. Seal it with 3M Drip Check. If the puddle is on the passenger side the vertical seams in the body may be leaking under or around the plastic vent. Remove the fender to repair. Hood hinge bolts can leak also. If the puddle is on the drivers side a previous owner may have routed the radio antenna lead throught the cowl rather than through the kick panel. Water tends to run down hill and follow the antenna lead. The top to windshield seal may be leaking also. The drains in both plastic vents may be plugged causing water to run inside rather than run on the ground.

This pretty well sums up the leaks I have found in mine.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I get a similar puddle and have narrowed it down to the bottom corner of the windshield seal.