• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

used/aftermarket windshield frame and retaining knobs?

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i am considering replacing the windshield frame on a 66 and would like to retain being able to raise, lower, and secure it with the dash knobs. i didn't see it specifically mentioned in any of the catalogs and im wondering how the replacement frames deal with the dash knobs. my understanding is that the original frames had a nut fixed on the inside of the lower frame into which the knobs would thread. is this the case with the replacements or would i have to create that aspect? also, which years of ford frames would have those nuts if i wanted to buy used?

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Something else to watch out for is the early and later frames have different locations for the wipers and the hole pattern for the hard top

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
rt,

i was aware of that, but didnt see either as big of a problem as the knob issue. one of the frames i have is already drilled for both electric and vacuum. but i think the hardtop i have is not from a 66. though i havent looked closely yet, i was thinkig of making a template from a 66 ws frame and drilling the proper holes in the hard top lip if necessary.

mick,

that is helpful. i didnt know a stainless version was available. do you recall if it had the bolts for the retaining knobs installed?

in my case, it seems as if a later model ws frame, if they have the retaning bolt threads, drilled to mount the vaccuum wipers would be the quickest and easiest thing to do.

...and btt for the day shift.

Last edited:

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
weps said:
mick,

that is helpful. i didnt know a stainless version was available. do you recall if it had the bolts for the retaining knobs installed?

in my case, it seems as if a later model ws frame, if they have the retaning bolt threads, drilled to mount the vaccuum wipers would be the quickest and easiest thing to do.

...and btt for the day shift.

check with Tom's as mine was for the 77 Bronco. It had holes and drilled for the electric setup.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
weps said:
i am considering replacing the windshield frame on a 66 and would like to retain being able to raise, lower, and secure it with the dash knobs. i didn't see it specifically mentioned in any of the catalogs and im wondering how the replacement frames deal with the dash knobs. my understanding is that the original frames had a nut fixed on the inside of the lower frame into which the knobs would thread. is this the case with the replacements or would i have to create that aspect? also, which years of ford frames would have those nuts if i wanted to buy used?

I'll bet it's not specifically mentioned because they ALL raise, lower, and secure with the dash knobs. Well, some used a bolt instead of the groovy knob, but it's the same deal. Three differences between earlier and later ones. Hardtop mounting hole pattern across the top, wiper mounting, and the one you actually need to concern yourself with, welded or unboltable piano hinge.

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
Re: Re: used/aftermarket windshield frame and retaining knobs?

SeaBiscuit68 said:
I'll bet it's not specifically mentioned because they ALL raise, lower, and secure with the dash knobs. Well, some used a bolt instead of the groovy knob, but it's the same deal. Three differences between earlier and later ones. Hardtop mounting hole pattern across the top, wiper mounting, and the one you actually need to concern yourself with, welded or unboltable piano hinge.

just what i was hoping to hear. thanks.