• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using Body panel adhesive to instal Rock ski's/Raptors??

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo guys
I want to put a set of the 1/8 inch BC Broncos Rock Skis, or Bronco Loves Rocker Raptors on my truck, but I really hate to drill a bunch of holes into my perfect rockers.

I know there are some really good body panel adhesives out now, and even many car companies use this stuff to assemble new cars. I would like to use some of this stuff to attach some rocker protection to my truck.

I was wondering what you all think about my idea, and what adhesive would be best, and what should I do to prep the rockers, and keep moisture from getting inbetween the rockes, and the rock ski/raptors.

I am also undecided between BC's rocks skis and Bronco Loves Rocker Raptors.

I appreciate any ideas, or feedback.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Yo guys
I want to put a set of the 1/8 inch BC Broncos Rock Skis, or Bronco Loves Rocker Raptors on my truck, but I really hate to drill a bunch of holes into my perfect rockers.

I know there are some really good body panel adhesives out now, and even many car companies use this stuff to assemble new cars. I would like to use some of this stuff to attach some rocker protection to my truck.

I was wondering what you all think about my idea, and what adhesive would be best, and what should I do to prep the rockers, and keep moisture from getting inbetween the rockes, and the rock ski/raptors.

I am also undecided between BC's rocks skis and Bronco Loves Rocker Raptors.

I appreciate any ideas, or feedback.

It's very easy to use, take both mating surfaces to bare metal and apply it. Clamp it for a while and your done. ;D

Duramix has a very fast adhesive 4147 but you might find it best to go by the local body shop and have them apply the adhesive though. The tube of adhesive (about $50) comes in a double barrel tube and as it comes out of the tube it gets mixed in a special tip. It requires a special caulking gun which is about $200. If you do all the prep and all they have to do is "stick it on" it shouldn't cost you any more than the materials to do it.
The best part about panel adhesive is it is also a good seam sealer. Moisture can't get in there if you squeeze a little out. Make sure to wipe it off with some laquer thinner before it dries.

Louie

Bronco Guru
Wouldn't an adhesive trash a rocker panel more than drilling some holes? I went with Rocker Rappers mainly because they were closer, cheaper & custom fit.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
i have the duramix system and used to fix my inner wheel wells on the back the stuff is amazing, the gun is not that much i sell them at work for 55 and we sell prob 5 a year. they last for a long time really durable.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Wouldn't an adhesive trash a rocker panel more than drilling some holes? I went with Rocker Rappers mainly because they were closer, cheaper & custom fit.

My thinking is that drilling a bunch of holes will allow water to get it, and cause my rockers to rust.

It's very easy to use, take both mating surfaces to bare metal and apply it. Clamp it for a while and your done.

Duramix has a very fast adhesive 4147

The best part about panel adhesive is it is also a good seam sealer. Moisture can't get in there if you squeeze a little out. Make sure to wipe it off with some laquer thinner before it dries.

i have the duramix system and used to fix my inner wheel wells on the back the stuff is amazing, the gun is not that much i sell them at work for 55 and we sell prob 5 a year. they last for a long time really durable.

Thanks, sounds like what I want to hear. I have a buddy who has a double tube gun, for some kind of body pannel adhesive. I will find out if it the Duramix gun

Louie

Bronco Guru
My thinking is that drilling a bunch of holes will allow water to get it, and cause my rockers to rust.

Broncolove (aka: thebroncoranch) recommends putting a bead of silicone around the rappers before you put them on.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman

Would you sell the applicator gun here?

The best price I got locally was $79. and that was through friends....

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I was going by what I thought a 3M gun price was and guessed the Duramix one was the same price. I don't pay too much attention to the invoices at work I just sign them;D If I think about at work it I'll find out what my price is with our discount.

Panel adhesive is more durable than silicone and will come off with a good heat gun.

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
yes I use the SEM gun which is the same gun and same price it is just something we stock but i use the panel bond and it does work great. I dont even clean up before hand half the time like in the wheel wells and have not had one piece drop yet