• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using both sets of posts on an Optima?

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I just bought a plug in jumper cable set that leaves part connected to your battery all the time. I have my winch and normal engine leads coming off the top post(Optima recommends using the top post for heavy amp loads). I'm thinking about hooking the jumper plug to the side posts. Jump starting an engine pulls a fair amount of amps but no more than starting your own engine(actually less because your alternator is already supplying most of the power). Any thoughts from you electrical types?

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
does it mount to the front of batt.? is it a set of post that threads in to the side mount holes? if so the only concern would be the clearance of them to the sheet metal.

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=flint_knapper link=board=5;threadid=20749;start=0#msg159812 date=1060337610]
does it mount to the front of batt.? is it a set of post that threads in to the side mount holes? if so the only concern would be the clearance of them to the sheet metal.
[/quote]Thanks Flint_knapper. That's exactly what would happen. I went out after my first post and saw that it would be too close as the side posts would mount facing the core support. I'm still curious about using both sets of posts. It sems like that would simplify a dual battery setup...

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I see no problem doing so other than the clearence issue. Might be overcome with some sort of nonconducting shield.

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
Other than the possibility of cable length issues, couldn't you just turn the battery 180 degrees? So the side post part faced away from the core support?

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I use both sets of posts on my Optima in my Exploder, top posts for the factory + / - terminals, the side ones for my winch quick disconnect leads to the front and rear of the truck. Side posts are there for the battery to be used in import or newer domestics, so they deliver the amps just fine. You can get the side post/bolts at any auto parts store, and dielectric grease on everything helps prevent corrosion and reduce amperage loss.
;)

OP
OP
GRIZZLY

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=IowaMike link=board=5;threadid=20749;start=0#msg159839 date=1060348020]
Other than the possibility of cable length issues, couldn't you just turn the battery 180 degrees? So the side post part faced away from the core support?
[/quote]Thanks, already thought of that. This was originally posted last night at work so I just needed a quick way before our run tomorrow at Ocotillo Wells. I ll probably shift things around when I do dual batteries...

Benzo

Loc.
SF Bay Area
I was thinking about using the extra terminals for connecting the second optima. Is that a bad idea?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=WrenchMonkey link=board=5;threadid=20749;start=0#msg160038 date=1060403408]
I was thinking about using the extra terminals for connecting the second optima. Is that a bad idea?
[/quote]
You don't want to connect two batteries directly together. There's a number of way to have a dual batt setup, but that isnt one of them.

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
I had a yellow top Optima in my olld truck for two years before I sold it . I used both sets of post never had a problem. I had car stereo amps hooked to the side post never hurt anything. If you need more room to clear the side post turn the battery around might need some new battery cables but the would clear the side post.