• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using rock rails to straighten rocker panels.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
My EB has a few big dings in the rocker panels from rock crawling without any rails. It's not like they're completely mashed but they are damaged.

I was wondering about the idea of using wild horses quarter inch rock rails as a kind of a standard to overlay and straighten my rocker panels.

Obviously I would use a slide hammer and other tools to straighten them manually as best as possible, then I would overlay the rock rails.

Does anybody think this would work?
-JB

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

quic

Contributor
I was considering rock rails for mine just to hide the damage but i would imagine if you bolted them on they would pull any dents right out, based on the rockers being thin metal
wild horses had a black friday sale on them for 268.00

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
You would have to cut the inner rocker panel to be able to hit the outer panel out, then repair the inner panel.
If there's no rust, I would not worry about the dents, just cover them over and if you ever sell it, make sure they know about the damage.
You might want to make bigger holes in bottom for drainage, and pianit 1st with POR 15 to keep rust out. If you do plan to use them as rock rails, you might want to tie into frame.
WH will hold on to them if you can drive there, otherwise get them now because it won't be cheaper in the futire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
You would have to cut the inner rocker panel to be able to hit the outer panel out, then repair the inner panel.
If there's no rust, I would not worry about the dents, just cover them over and if you ever sell it, make sure they know about the damage.
You might want to make bigger holes in bottom for drainage, and pianit 1st with POR 15 to keep rust out. If you do plan to use them as rock rails, you might want to tie into frame.
WH will hold on to them if you can drive there, otherwise get them now because it won't be cheaper in the futire.

You don't think a slide hammer would be sufficient to extract some dents?
-JB

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
future. Will do the job, but I tried a stud welder and it just made holes by breaking off, so I expect that to happen with the slide hammer as well. Those dents occurred with a lota weight and usually have multiple bends making the metal very rigid. I would leave the holes after pulling to allow drainage because that area is known to get rust, and water will accumulate there, more so after cocktails are installed. Little dents on side maybe, but any dents on bottom of rockers is going to be tough.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
future. Will do the job, but I tried a stud welder and it just made holes by breaking off, so I expect that to happen with the slide hammer as well. Those dents occurred with a lota weight and usually have multiple bends making the metal very rigid. I would leave the holes after pulling to allow drainage because that area is known to get rust, and water will accumulate there, more so after cocktails are installed. Little dents on side maybe, but any dents on bottom of rockers is going to be tough.

Thanks Bronco Billy! It's going to be a rock crawler and my present goal is a patina build -that is to say for me it's more important to get it running and driving right now and it's sometime later take care of the aesthetics.

I was considering cutting the rockers off and replacing them with square tube, I've seen a couple nice looking jobs with that, but I think I will do as much dent extraction as I can, adding a few holes as you suggest, and then try the rock rails over the top. Fortunately there's no rust to contend with, but the metal will be tough to move, took the entire way to the Bronco to get it where it is now!

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
You're welcome. think the WH rock rails will definitely do what you want. They are truly beefy, but I'd still consider tying into frame if you plan to use them as sliders. I've seen some guys countersink Allen head screws for a nice flush look. Not sure how they screwed them into rocker. Just depends on what you want how how hard you plan to play with it. There is no wrong way, and I love how we can all make it different but right.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used rock rails to replace rusted rockers. I just cut the rusted parts out and treated the remaining to prevent future rusting. Then bolted rock rails over what was left.

Attachments

• 2016-12-11 16.38.58.jpg
    2016-12-11 16.38.58.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 127

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Bc originally sold em nice stainless screws definitely strong enough to pull or flex the body into shape.the question is will the screw strip or just pull out of the rocker trying to do it. Also most of these were originally made by bc Broncos. Other vendors have rebadged em or added steps to em. You may be able to find em at a closer vendor to save on shipping.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I guess the question is to straighten the bent metal or to cut it off and bolt the rock rails on.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Whatever you're trying to accomplish I dont see the rock ski giving much. I know for installation chuck recommended putting a tranny jack or something similar to press it up tight as possible then screw it in.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I used rock rails to replace rusted rockers. I just cut the rusted parts out and treated the remaining to prevent future rusting. Then bolted rock rails over what was left.

and turned out darn good

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
So I guess the question is to straighten the bent metal or to cut it off and bolt the rock rails on.

I'd almost cut, then bolt on, somehow tie it to the frame?

More reinforcement the better when wheeling

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I would cut access holes on the back side, clean all the accumulated crud and dirt out, bang out the dents, bolt on the rock ski through the rocker now that you have an access point, then treat the whole inside and outside with a rust preventative and call it good. I would think the next owner would likely understand why you did it and they can actually see what was done. my .02

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lol.. This is on the list in the near future. Just got the Rock Ski delivered from WH. Ordered some rocker panel replacements from Bronco parts. My rockers were a bit too far gone to pull them back into somewhat of alignment. I though about just trimming the entire outside off and bolting over. Either way I need to separate the outer from the inner and straighten out the bottom bottom of the inner rocker so the new ski's have something to hold on to.

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damage and new skis

Attachments

• rocker up close.jpg
    rocker up close.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 68
  • skis.jpg
    skis.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Lol.. This is on the list in the near future. Just got the Rock Ski delivered from WH. Ordered some rocker panel replacements from Bronco parts. My rockers were a bit too far gone to pull them back into somewhat of alignment. I though about just trimming the entire outside off and bolting over. Either way I need to separate the outer from the inner and straighten out the bottom bottom of the inner rocker so the new ski's have something to hold on to.
Mine are similar, maybe in slightly better condition. Please post pics as you move through your project. I am many weeks further away than you.

Thanks,
JB

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine are similar, maybe in slightly better condition. Please post pics as you move through your project. I am many weeks further away than you.

Thanks,
JB

Will do.

quic

Contributor
I bit the bullet, my new skis from wild horses were on the porch when I got home from work yesterday!