• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using Scout Power Steering Box (Not reversed)

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Hi, I just joined this forum as I just purchased a 1970 Bronco Sport that I am restoring. I was browsing some older posts to gather some information on the Scout steering boxes to convert my manual steer Bronco over to power steering and saw that you a few people have done the swap on their Bronco's. The setup that I purchased came from West Coast Bronco's. The box was not reversed and they had it installed rearward from the stock location in order to get the pitman arm facing the correct way. They said that it worked great but took it off to install a heavier setup. My question is.. has anyone else installed the gear box this way? If so, how did it work for you and do you have pictures of the install? I am contemplating either drilling new holes and installing it this way or sending it off to have it reversed so it can mount in the stock location. Any advice or insight that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You can do it, but you're going to have to use some good U-joints in the steering column to get it to live with the steep angle.

I use a Scout II PS box on mine, but my front axle is moved about 6" forward of stock. Here's a pic:

sct32.JPG

You can see there that I moved the box back on the frame, but you'd have to go back an additional 6" or so from there.

I'd most likely send it off to West Texas and have it rebuilt and reversed.
Joe

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I've been running a scout box for over 16 years. I moved it back 6 or 8 inches, as far as I could. I plated the side of the frame with 1/4" plate and drilled new holes large enough to run anti crush tubes through the frame and welded on both inside and outside of the frame rail. I mounted it at more of an angle than rjlugee did on his. That cut down on the steering shaft angle, and I have not had any u-joint problems. I did however have to make an upgrade when I went to 35" tires. The box is too flush with the bottom of the frame to mount a brace to control the wiggle factor and th 1/4" plate wasn't heavy enough and cracked out. I replated it with a piece of
6"x6"x3/8" angle iron over top and side, then I fabbed an elbow bracket off of the tab on the top of the box down to the crossmember. That controlled the wiggle factor and it hasen't moved in over ten years. I use a forced air cooler and a magnetic in line filter and I haven't had any problems, other a blown hi-pressure hose, in years. I am convinced that the Scout box is considerable strong.

OP
OP
A

abrush

Loc.
Springfield, NE
Thanks for the replies. I am still debating whether to send off the box to have it reversed. I talked to West Texas so it will just depend if I decide to spend the money.

Wyldebill: Do you have a picture of your setup? I would be interested in seeing how you mounted yours since you say it is more at an angle than rjlougee.

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
Sorry, but I can't post pics. I did go out and look at mine to compare to rjlugee's pic. Mine is mounted further back by about 2 or 3 inches and sets flat on the frame just as it curves down. That is what gives the impression that it is tilted more, but since the frame curves up to meet the box, I don't know if the angle is more in relation to the steering shaft or not. It appears that rjlugee has moved his coil bucket forward as far forward as needed to as needed to move his axle, then moved the steering box back as far as possible. He has relocated his track bar mount to somewhere else. My trackbar mounting is still in the factory location and the box is moved back to within 1/2" of it. If you could PM me an e-mail address I could try to send pics.