• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

vacuum to electric wipers

spdrac

Im changing over to electric wipers on my 68.Other than the holes on the windsheild frame being to small,any other problems I might run in to?All the parts I got are from a 74,brackets , switch,motor,linkage.
Thanks Mike

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The spacing between the holes is different. You will either need to shorten the wiper linkage from the '74 or drill another hole in your windshield frame in the correct location.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I just did it on my 68... see my build thread. If you want I can draw up some plans for the hole spacing and placement of the brackets

OP
OP
S

spdrac

If you know how much to shorten the linkage that would be the way id want to go.I think shortening the linkage would be easyer and look better.

matt blaser

is it really worth switching it over to the electric wipers? i have access to another windshield frame and the electric wipers. i have never seen the vacum wipers in action so i dont know how much better the electric wipers work. should i do it?

66halfdone

Loc.
St Louis
The vacuum units, if not maintained do not work well. Their movement slows when climbing a hill. The units stop a lot in cold climates because they rely on a fluid lubrication to move and seal. With that all said. If you get small amounts of rain and want to stay stock, the vacuum units can be adequate. The electric units are superior and reliable. If you have the cash, and need more creature comforts, go electric. I like the weird old style units and to keep my 66 broncos stock, so I am intresred in the vacuum units that are in repairable condition. Bob

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i did it in my '69 and i don't understand why everyone is saying shorten the linkage on the electric setup. i had to make my linkage longer cause the holes through the windshield frame where further apart. i had to make the driver side longer by a decent amount and once i had it in i didn't exactly get the motor placement 100% and the passenger side would bind up a bit so i had to shorten that side by about 1/4". after that all is well but i am just curious about putting on a drop down bracket so i can run a soft top some day. oh and the other part was i had to make my wiper cover a whole lot longer by cutting it in half towards the motor end and adding a section of abs plastic using plastic weld epoxy. after i made it longer and sanded it all down i covered it in the same fabric i used on the headliner and you could never tell i did anything.

OP
OP
S

spdrac

Before I got the set up from the 74,I was going to put in a seperate vacuum tank to see if this would help the poor operation of the vacuum wipers.But if I could get a measurement from a electric windsheild frame I would adjust the linkage.All I would need is center to center of the holes.