• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vacuum to Electric Wipers

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I am converting my 66 from Vacuum to Electric wipers. I have a complete setup of stock electric wipers. I have read that the vacuum wiper holes are smaller and further apart. Most I have read, have used the stock driver side hole, enlarged it, and then drilled a new hole for the passenger side. Some have talked about using the stock hole locations, enlarge the holes, and then cut and lengthen the rod in the mechanism. But I have heard that doing this leaves a gap between where the blades clean the windshield. Here are my questions.

1. What is the actual measurement for the distance between the holes for a stock electric wiper set-up?

2. If I use the stock holes, enlarge them ( also, what size does it need to be ) and lengthen the rod, will I still get the gap between the blade strokes if I going to install the Cherokee wiper upgrade?

3. And while I am on the subject, what wiper switch, with the ability for delay action, is the one everyone recommends? Is there a good donor in the pull a parts, or is there one from the vendors?

Thanks,

Scott

kinder

Some measurements from my '73 windshield frame, using the weatherstripping edge on the driver side as the starting point.

10 1/4" from the edge to the driver side hole center
29 15/16" from the edge to the passenger side hole center
19 3/4" center to center of the two holes
13/16" hole size on a electric wiper set up.

I can't answer the overlap question, I'll be converting my '68 vacuum setup to electric soon and so I'll know that one soon.

I've pulled the wiper delay switch from the late 1970's F-150s and Broncos.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I converted my '67 vaccum setup to electric recently. I enlarged the holes slightly with a dremel and lengthened the rod between the left and right side (I'll post the measurement when I get home). I kept the stock wiper arms and blades and used a replacment switch and bezel where my choke used to be. It works well, but would probably be better with the cherokee upgrade. The toughest part was getting the length of the extention right followed by getting the vacuum line out and fishing the wiring back through there. I should tell you that my measurements are based on a bikini top drop bracket.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
If you have pics, that would be great. If the Cherokee longer blades give enough coverage, then I would prefer not to add an additional hole to the windshield.

Scott

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I swapped this on my 68 and used my stock holes and drop bracket for my STG top. I ended up extending the linkage as noted above. I did not get the length dead on and it binds/rocks the motor when cycling. It is sensitive to the EXACT length of this arm. I plan to weld a threaded portion on each end of the cut and use a turnbuckle nut in between. Then I can tweak the length to make it perfect.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I wouldn't use ANY measurements to make sure it fits your Bronco... I'm not sure there are two measurements that are the same on any Bronco! :)

I think I did it this way back in 1976 when I converted my vacuum wipers to electric:

Enlarge the holes on both sides
Put the wiper "post" thru each side and anchor both of them like it's permanent
Mount the motor. Make sure you space the motor so it won't bind with the passenger side "arm" on it. After the motor is attached to the frame, make sure it will rotate the pass side assembly smoothly before attempting to attach the drivers side arm.

Cut the main wiper arm that goes between the two wiper posts
Park both blades in the at rest position at the top of the windshield (what were those engineers thinking anyway)
I then clamped a pc of steel with visegrips btw the drivers side arm that you cut to space the posts correctly and the remaining pc of steel that is attached to the the rest of the system.

When turning the system on for trial and error/fitment, make sure you toggle the KEY on QUICKLY in case something isn't lined up right... just eyeball things carefully. Key shuts it off completely, switch can still make the system go to "park".

Anyway, without pics it might be hard to follow this BUT you will not have a bare spot if you space the wipers correctly and it sure beats having a 9" wide bare SIDE of the windshield on the pass side.

Might have forgotten something, but this worked better than my Dad's '69 w/electrics and anybody else that watched them work removing snow.

Good luck, use the original holes...

67 Halfcab

I need to do this mod also, and have the electric wiper parts sitting in my garage. Can someone with the factory installed electric wipers post a pic so I can see the correct angle the transmission meets the wiper arm stud? Thanks!:D

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I completely concur with nvrstuk. I used the measurements I guessimated from another member's pictures and kept adjusting it until it didn't bind. And I will tell you it is a PITA by yourself. I like the turn buckle idea, that will definitely make it easier to adjust. Check out my build photo link (http://whatareyouworkinon.com/content/images/recent/9535/all) for the pictures. I used a couple of metal strips that fit in the groove of the linkage. I drilled multiple small holes to get the distance correct and then bolted it down solid. Keep in mind the measurement will be different based on the exact location you bolt down the motor. That needs to be setup to make the passenger side function correctly, then start cutting and extending the driver's side. Let me know if you need more pictures or help.

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
P.S. only my driver's side visor fits now and you'll definitely have to fab up a cover for it if you want one.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I wouldn't use ANY measurements to make sure it fits your Bronco... I'm not sure there are two measurements that are the same on any Bronco! :)

I think I did it this way back in 1976 when I converted my vacuum wipers to electric:

Enlarge the holes on both sides
Put the wiper "post" thru each side and anchor both of them like it's permanent
Mount the motor. Make sure you space the motor so it won't bind with the passenger side "arm" on it. After the motor is attached to the frame, make sure it will rotate the pass side assembly smoothly before attempting to attach the drivers side arm.

Cut the main wiper arm that goes between the two wiper posts
Park both blades in the at rest position at the top of the windshield (what were those engineers thinking anyway)
I then clamped a pc of steel with visegrips btw the drivers side arm that you cut to space the posts correctly and the remaining pc of steel that is attached to the the rest of the system.

When turning the system on for trial and error/fitment, make sure you toggle the KEY on QUICKLY in case something isn't lined up right... just eyeball things carefully. Key shuts it off completely, switch can still make the system go to "park".

Anyway, without pics it might be hard to follow this BUT you will not have a bare spot if you space the wipers correctly and it sure beats having a 9" wide bare SIDE of the windshield on the pass side.

Might have forgotten something, but this worked better than my Dad's '69 w/electrics and anybody else that watched them work removing snow.

Good luck, use the original holes...

With using the original holes, did you feel that was a larger area between the wipers that did not get covered? I will be using the Cherokee wiper upgrades, so I will get more coverage.

Thanks

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I did the Cherokee wiper mod and did not think it was worth the time or $. The only good part is you end up with a wiper arm that will take any number of wiper blades so you can make them longer. With the conversion I can still use a wiper blade 1" maybe more than the Cherokee set up. Wipes the window fine.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Of the three Broncos I've owned, two were electric. The area on the right end of the windshield not covered by the electrics is not a problem for the driver. You're seeing it at a shallow angle so it's not 9". You want the glass clear in front of you. It makes more sense to keep the electric wiper spacing. Just drill a hole and fill a hole. The stock cover-visor-dome loght will work and look good. The passenger may loose some visibility, but they're not driving.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Update since I'm looking for measurements for a buddy...

IF you live somewhere besides Tucson, stuff falls out of the sky for months at a time and it's white and it's called SNOW!! :) Just flipping ya a little...

I'll tell ya, having a 9" sized blind spot on the right side of your windshield is not a good thing... the area in the middle is almost completely covered up to the gasket when you do the Cherokee conversion and use longer blades. You NEED the Cherokee conversion since the arm has more spring pressure on it and it will actually clean the windshield.

I re-read my earlier post and it's not the clearest description but I hope it helps somebody. Sure beats drilling another hole and filling the old one.