• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WAH installed with axle riser for track bar - DONE

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Noticed tonight that my WH track bar riser interferes with the measurements in the instructions for BC's Wristed axle housing. I have to modify the WH riser or change it out to something else that doesn't extend towards the center of the axle housing as far. What have others done? I have good steering geometry now without a drop pitman arm.

Last edited:

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Wildhorse has a trac bar riser for the 78-79 axle that might work. You'll find it under there late model section, its something new. From what I've read the bc set up is designed around the 78-79 axle. If these are the parts you're using it might be the way to go and wildhorse might trade parts.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
If you can wait til the weekend I'll snap a picture of mine. I just fabbed up my own riser after doing the WAH. I used the original mount but raised it.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
make your own. Pretty simple stuff. Mine ant pretty but I couldn't see spending big bucks on a riser for a dana 30. Found my material in the scrap bin

Do you need the riser further outwards or is it just that there gusset extends towards the middle too far? I dont see the need for a huge thick riser, or that huge gusset. Heeps have them made out of sheet metal and I have never heard of them having a problem. Sometimes we way overbuild stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1891.jpg
    IMG_1891.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 96

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
My old rig had standard EB width axles, a WAH, and a WH trac bar riser. I think I would up cutting down the riser by half, or so. Afterwards, I felt I should have just made my own riser.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The WH may be a little over kill but not by much I think. There is a great Dall of side force on the bracket. When I was working out the details for a riser for our racer to make the perfect steering I made a bracket that was bolted on by the radius arm cap bolts, that part worked fine, the problem came in going hard around corners, The track bar pushed the radius arm off the wedges. At mile 34 of the Baja 1000 this happened, the diff moved over and one of the diff bolts cut the oil pan. Lots of fun was had that day. Thinking about it later a hard turn at 30? would put more than the 3500 lbs of the racer on that bracket, add in a little shock loading caused by a rut or rock and the WH bracket doesn't seem so over built. But we trim the bracket to clear the WAH when we use it.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine(WH bracket) has been on for a few years, so will have to be modified in place. I'm not at my shop so I'm stripping the axle except for knuckles and the pinion and taking it to a drivetrain shop the first of next week. I've printed out all of BC's instructions and Howie's tech writeup. Chuck, I may give him your phone number in case they have some questions.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Axle was finished yesterday. The WH riser was cut at the bend where it fits to the tube. A new piece was made to fit over the tube at an angle to clear the WAH. I think it turned it great. Just need to get it painted and back under the Bronco.

Attachments

• photo34.jpg
    photo34.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From OCBR 2013, never tried it on the ramp but this is a vast improvement over what I had. I also reworked the shocks on the rear which helped as well.

Attachments

• OCBR 2013 - fun run flex pic.jpg
    OCBR 2013 - fun run flex pic.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 52

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I dont recall you having but one issue and it was not drivetrain......So musta done pretty good. I can tell a huge diff with Susy arms on mine......gotta do ram assist before I go wristed and learn how to drive with these arms, everybody knows I hate playng tilts but all those scary tilts I did Id look and the tires was on the ground. But I was still suckin seat!!!!!

I know that run we did on friday was top notch class A#1 bad ass! I cant wait for June!