• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Want to clean up wiring please need advise

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
you would just be giving yourself a ton more problem areas, those things dont always stay crimped well, If you have to do it a better idea would be solder and shrink tubing that would be a much better connection

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
when you solder do you actually sodler the wires or another piece onto the wires and how does the shrink tubing work, im new to the rewiring. want to just clean it up until next summer when i want to do a lot of work on the bronco. just need to get through the winter? thats why i was leaning toward the crimp ones

ransil

Bronco Guru
The stock wiring will most likely be corroded and not solder well, don't cut it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just tie it up out of the way. Once you cut it you cant put it back and if you ever need to work on the wiring/dash (you will) you'll at least have some lenght to work with.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Cutting and butt-splicing is just asking for lots of potential problems and it will end up taking alot more space as well. If you can wrap it with some quality electrical tape or loom and hang it up higher behind the dash or on the inside ledge of the dash, thats where its supposed to sit.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
when you solder do you actually sodler the wires or another piece onto the wires and how does the shrink tubing work, im new to the rewiring. want to just clean it up until next summer when i want to do a lot of work on the bronco. just need to get through the winter? thats why i was leaning toward the crimp ones

Look at the link you provided and notice the butt connector with no plastic insulation. That is the one to use with shrink tubing. The tubing will be your insulation. You cut a piece of tubing at least an inch longer than than the butt and slide it onto one wire first (use adhesive lined tubing). Crimp, solder, then center the tubing on the butt and heat it. It will shrink and seal the connection. A hair dryer works for heat. Don't overheat it. Stop when you see the adhesive at the ends. This is the same for any connector you have to put in, rings, spades etc. Only use plastic covered crimp connectors for an emergency as they don't last and begin as a poor connection at best. This is fyi since you asked, but I would recommend just safely tucking things up and out of the way if you can for now.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Just tie it up out of the way. Once you cut it you cant put it back and if you ever need to work on the wiring/dash (you will) you'll at least have some lenght to work with.

X2!!!! If you have some that are owner installed and just way too long, go to the end and trim it there.