• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn M8000 vs M8000s?? Anyone have real world experience??

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

So I'm finding myself in the market for a winch. Won't be seeing much duty. Will likely only use it a few times to help a brother in need. I'm not super weight conscious but I do pay attention. The M8000s is 55 lbs and the M8000 is about 80. It would be nice to save the weight. Is this from only the synthetic line? Are there any other differences? A $300 price difference seems like a lot fo just the line. If I am missing something please let me know.

Thanks!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Synthetic rope, if you need it, is great. No recoil if the line breaks. "Much" less weight. No corrosion too; Warn Spydura rope has a nice shield to protect from uv.
I think the "s" may also have a faster line speed.
Check to see if the "s" has DC contacts instead of solenoids, that would be an improvement too.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
that sounds about right for synthetic line. cable is heavy and warns line is very good and very expensive.

back in the day before there was a zillion made in china winches the m8000 was real popular. i have seen a lot of them in action and they always live up to warns reputation.

for the first time in a couple of decades i bought a non-warn winch and it is great. highest quality cable i have ever seen and it pulls like a train. drug my one ton bronco down my driveway so i had to strap the bronco to my uncles f450 welding truck. picked the back of it up off the ground before the pole finally came out of the ground i was trying to remove :)

needless to say i'm pretty pleased with it and it came with wired and wireless remotes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026JAK4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here's a good write up:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/129-1107-massive-multi-winch-shootout/

crankman

I have used a M8000 with steel cable on a couple different trucks including bronco and its never let me down. I picked it because of the low profile and you can remote mount the controller if needed. I have one on a Silverado in a hidden winch bumper and it worked pretty cool.

OP
OP
B

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Great. I am leaning towards the M8000 S. Anyone know the best place to buy one? Would like to support someone who is EB friendly and an Authorized Dealer to get the rebate and cover me if something goes wrong. Any vendors here that carry Warn? This may be a silly question but I have been through the vendor sites and I don't really see it. Best price I am finding online is $842 including shipping and no sales tax. (Cabelas or Summit.)Thanks!

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Believe it or not, check Home Depot. They offer the Zeon 10S that I am considering. Free in store PU, but you would get hit with Sales Tax.

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
I think that the S also has a different fairlead then the standard M8000. It does not have the rollers, just a polished surface for the rope to glide over. I am not a fan of the rope. My experience with it has proven it to be unreliable and prone to breakage. I would go with the steel cable. You just need to take care not to kink the cable and keep it wound tight and proper. I have an M8000 on my JY that I bought used about 15 years ago. I have never had any issues with it all. Have you ever seen a wrecker, or a crane of any kind with rope??