• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Warn M8000 Winch, Add Synthetic Rope = $740. Good idea?

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
I can pick up the Warn M8000 all day long on Amazon for $539.00. It comes standard with a steel cable and roller fairlead.

I like the idea of synthetic rope and the looks of the hawse fairlead better. I can buy 100 feet of synthetic rope for anywhere from $100-$200. I can find a hawse fairlead for reasonable price too.

So, I'm thinking I'll buy the M8000, remove the steel cable, and put a synthetic cable on and run the hawse fairlead.

And, that appears to be about an $800 investment (which by the way is still cheaper than buying the Warn 8000lb winch with the Warn Synth. line on it - that's about $950.)

Is that a doable thing? Good idea? Will I run into any problems spooling up a different manufacturer's synthetic line on the Warn M8000?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that a doable thing? Good idea? Will I run into any problems spooling up a different manufacturer's synthetic line on the Warn M8000?
I sure hope so..its what I'm doing to gradually convert all my winches over to synth. ;)

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
you can get the Warn XD9000i for the same price with the rebate that's going on now.
Use it abuse it. Replace wire rope with synthetic when the time comes.
Why go with the M8000 when you can get the proven XD9000i for a little more?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
MMM... Waterproof, wireless and wired remotes.

Recon any good?

aint used it! but before I bought it i looked n looked for a bad page on it anywhere not a bad word could be found.

Hey be kool, ive got one!

OP
OP
J

joshd1971bronco

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
you can get the Warn XD9000i for the same price with the rebate that's going on now.
Use it abuse it. Replace wire rope with synthetic when the time comes.
Why go with the M8000 when you can get the proven XD9000i for a little more?

Madgyver,

So you're saying I can get an XD9000i (with steel cable) for about $750-800 because of some rebates? Is that on the Warn website or one of their retailers? I'll try and search around.

Now for perhaps a stupid question: what makes the XD9000i so much better than the M8000. Obviously it's rated for 1000lbs more, but there's got to be more to it (and the significant increase in price) than just capacity.
Line Speed?
Duty Cycle?

What makes it better and should I really be after that? (It should be noted I am not a hardcore wheeler and don't expect to use the winch but a few times a year).

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Madgyver,

So you're saying I can get an XD9000i (with steel cable) for about $750-800 because of some rebates? Is that on the Warn website or one of their retailers? I'll try and search around.

Now for perhaps a stupid question: what makes the XD9000i so much better than the M8000. Obviously it's rated for 1000lbs more, but there's got to be more to it (and the significant increase in price) than just capacity.
Line Speed?
Duty Cycle?

What makes it better and should I really be after that? (It should be noted I am not a hardcore wheeler and don't expect to use the winch but a few times a year).

Yes there is a Warn factory rebate going on.

http://www.warn.com/factory_authorized_rebate.shtml

It's up to you which winch you want to get.
I can't say much about the Warn M8000. My thinking is "more is better" when it comes to a winch. IMO, I made the mistake of trying to save money with a cheap winch and now I can't get parts to fix it.
I had a cheapo winch with synt line that was great when it worked but then its last time that I really needed it, it crapped out. I expected more usage out of it.
I've always wanted a Warn winch 9k because I seen it in action many times and some of those times was a XD9000 on friends rig getting me unstuck.
I shopped around for another winch and got a lightly used Warn XD9000i on local CL for a deal. I went to a 4WP show and at the warn booth I got another deal (w/ rebate) on the same winch BNIB with some added on accessories that I couldn't resist. 2 XD9000i w/ accessories for less than $1K. I can sell the other used XD9000i for the same price that I got it for and still be way ahead but I'll just mount it on the other bronco.
I always thought my rig was lightweight but with all the stuff that I've added to it, it's now a heavyweight rig so I feel more confidence with a 9000lb winch.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
M8000 is a great winch, I too got mine off Amazon at that price a year or so ago. I still run the steel cable and roller fairlead and plan to until the cable shows its age. Synthetic line is cool and is safer, however I know a lot of people who have broken the synthetic stuff. It can however be spliced (in the field even). Steel has the potential to fly out of control when it breaks but precautions can be taken to minimize risk... like weighting the cable, etc.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I've had the 8k and 9k Warns. I do like the 9000 more, but it is a lot more expensive. My main question would be asking what kind of use do you think the winch will get? An 8k winch should get you out of any place without any major obstacles in your path. If the truck still has 1 working axle, you'd be fine. If you are planning on doing and helping with extreme situations and complicated extractions, bigger is better but a lot of knowledge is reqiured in what to do. I don't know near enough on that side of things.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I have a nice hawse fairlead for sale if anyone is interested. I can get pics - rope has no place int he sandy and muddy environment I wheel in here... I would also TRADE for a roller fairlead as well - my hawse is aluminum.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Yeah! I got my $100. rebate check today from Warn...