• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

We Went on Our Annual Solitary Fall Crawl Today

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
We went on our annual Fall Crawl with the Action Bronco on our favorite volcano. The interesting thing about our fall crawl is that we lock it in four low and work our way across the mountain, stop at our favorite grove of aspens, walk up and down the slopes, and have a picnic. Then we turn around and crawl back to the main forest road.
The trail is mostly used these days by the occasional ATV since most vehicles now are too big to drive these roads anymore, some of the turns are pretty tight in the trees, and there are a few steep, rocky ascents. The trail is extra bumpy and rocky because of all the lava flows that came down the side of the mountain. Old lava flows always tend to be the worst. Didn't see another vehicle on the whole mountain all day. Since we crawl way back into tight places to get to the aspen grove, this isn't a place to have trouble. Long walk out if anything broke. Took Route 66 most of the way back to Albuquerque
That is all. As you were!

Attachments

• Fall_17_1.jpg
    Fall_17_1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Fall_17_2.jpg
    Fall_17_2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Fall_17_3.jpg
    Fall_17_3.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 146

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Gorgeous pictures!!! Thanks for sharing. I can relate to your comments on the widths of the trails. I was on some of my favorites last weekend and realized they're getting narrower because they see mostly UTV traffic these days.

Todd Z.

kip60

Aspens are beautiful this time of year! Thanks for the pictures. Hope to someday get mine back to the mountains and do the same!

OP
OP
MarsChariot

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I appreciate the comments. Yes, Todd I agree that something is happening with back roads with the prevalence of UTVs. Some steep and especially rocky sections of trails are now becoming overgrown as those with UTVs just go around through the trees. There are sections that now have small ponderosa pines growing up through the rocks because no one is driving through those sections anymore. It use to be that you would hear or see somebody in an old pickup lumbering along the trails. They just don't anymore.
From what I have heard from relatives back east Fall is a little warm and colorless this year. Aspens may lack the dynamic color range, but they are consistent performers.
Today we took the Action Bronco on a 100 plus mile trip east along the backside of the Manzono Mountains east of Albuquerque to visit some old pueblo ruins. The perfect fall touring vehicle, highway or trail. Nothing out there like it. Dependable, strong, and a head turner. What other 40 plus year-old vehicle can you use to do all these things?
Here are a couple more pictures from the trip the other day..

Attachments

• Fal_17_4.jpg
    Fal_17_4.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Fall_17_5.jpg
    Fall_17_5.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Fall_17_6.jpg
    Fall_17_6.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 29

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Fabulous scenary Mars. Maybe you could organize a group drive to open up those trails.;D:cool::cool::cool:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looks like and awesome day to me.. Thanks for sharing

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Fabulous scenary Mars. Maybe you could organize a group drive to open up those trails.;D:cool::cool::cool:

I agree.

Beautiful area and great pics.

A group drive helps keep the sport moving forward.

With the popularity of quads now, a lot of our single track dirt bike trails are getting wider, which is nice.