• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welded Spider Gears - How long did they get ya?

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Just curious. Poll for homebrew spider gear welders.

How long did you get before you chewed them up and upgraded to an actual locker?
Tire, gear, and motor size please.

73bronco

My welded spiders in my front 44 are still holding up great. Stock engine, 4.11 gears in the axles, NP435, 36x13.50 iroks aired down in the rocks. Broken several axles including a Yukon. No problems at all.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
my Bronco's not welded, but the 87 Dodge 250 I have has a welded Dana60 in the rear. I use it mainly for plowing snow. but it's a really hardcore kindof snowplowing. locked in back, with v-bar tire chains on all 4, and I still get stuck sometimes (roadgraders and bucket loaders get stuck too). lots of switchbacks and steep hills...but I digress.

it's got 33s in the summer, 245-75x16s in the winter, 3.50 gears, np435 and a very strong 360. I used a 6011 rod, and it came out real nice. I think? I did it 3 years ago (maybe longer, but at least 3 years) and have never had a problem.
but I don't recommend you do this on something that sees pavement on a regular basis.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
6 different diff's welded up here, all still going strong.. 2-4 years... The trick is to weld the gears to the carrier as well as welding gear to gear.. You screw up the carrier that way, but a Detroit/Full Spook comes complete :) And a replacement open carrier isn't but about $35..

ugly74

Bronco abuser
next time I open it up for a fluid change, I'll get you pics. but that won't be for about another year.

I didn't weld to the carrier, just gear to gear. 4 long continuous beads. up one side, past the cross shaft, and then down the other.