• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding Holes in the Grill

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to tell in the other thread what it looks like without trim. My grill will most likely be satin black with a bay tree green or grabber blu body, any reason to not weld holes up. All trim will be satin black, everything!

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to tell in the other thread what it looks like without trim. My grill will most likely be satin black with a bay tree green or grabber blu body, any reason to not weld holes up. All trim will be satin black, everything!

Any advice before I start welding, thought about coating the trim satin black

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get some tomorrow, basically doing away with grill trim

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think I follow you! From Ford, all Wimbledon White grilles came with no trim. All Argent grilles came with the brite trim. The black grilles on the Special Decor package also came with the brite trim. All your other trim will be black in which case I would not use the brite trim on the grille. You have 2 options - weld up the holes or install the trim and paint it satin black to match the other trim on your Bronco. Did I get this right?

I think I'd use the trim and paint it. You risk warping the grille metal with that many hole fills. Although you may be a better welder than I am! LOL

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
++3 leave trim paint satin black;;it will cover the black to body color tape line and look cleaner...
By other trim ? are you going to have windshield/window trim and beltline as well if so grill trim will just finish it off as well ..

as far as welding holes I'd make sheet metal plugs and weld around taking your time and grind smooth ..this will be very time consuming though...but I think the trim would look good ..

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
++3 leave trim paint satin black;;it will cover the black to body color tape line and look cleaner...
By other trim ? are you going to have windshield/window trim and beltline as well if so grill trim will just finish it off as well ..

as far as welding holes I'd make sheet metal plugs and weld around taking your time and grind smooth ..this will be very time consuming though...but I think the trim would look good ..

I will use trim, although my buddy is an excellent welder. I have not seen anyone making the trim in satin black, so it will be paint or powder coat. No trim on w/s, everything else, bezels, Windows, door handles, mirrors, etc.