• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what are you using to lift the body off of the frame?

jonlorio

Well today I prepared the truck for body removal. I would like to know what pickup points everyone else is using when doing this?

BicksBronc

Loc.
Concord, NC
Piece of dexion bolted to the dash mount and to the top of rear 1/4. 2 4x4 across door openings and using a lift.

69BroncoDad

Loc.
Rutland
i used 2 engine hoists a strap in front of the windshield wraped around the cowl and a bar in the rear underneath the bed sides..worked good coming off and going on

noreasteb

Loc.
Narragansett
Constructed in interior frame by doubling 2x4 and bolting to inside of body using body mount holes. I ended up hanging the body from the garage roof via chainfall. Was not too bad to set up and only cost me about $60.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 142

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I'm using eye bolts in the body mount holes, then using ratchet straps to level the body when we pick it up. 2 bolts in the rear and 2 in the front passenger area. The front need to be tighter to make up for the extra weight. I'm lucky as I have a tractor with a frontloader that can pick the body right up.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Rockers & quarter panels. ;)

But if I was doing it again, I'd put eye bolts in the t/g body mount holes, and either the floorboard holes, or the w/s lock bolt holes.

BTW
A 1700# Warn winch is ~$100 at Northern Tool. I just bought one yesterday to replace the (identical) Champion winch on my homemade lift.

ArmyCOL

Used my engine hoist and some 3/4 chain at the body mount positions. Worked really well.

OP
OP
J

jonlorio

I'm using eye bolts in the body mount holes, then using ratchet straps to level the body when we pick it up. 2 bolts in the rear and 2 in the front passenger area. The front need to be tighter to make up for the extra weight. I'm lucky as I have a tractor with a frontloader that can pick the body right up.

that's what we were thinking... we have access to a fork lift, john deere front end load tractor with forks, or a komatsu 120 track-hoe... also have a car-lift but there's a 67 'vette on it right now.

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
I used the front passenger and driver body mount holes with eye bolts, used very back 2 in rear. And a engine hoist.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a crossbar between the top hinge and striker mounting points on the door posts and between the tailgate latch points. A spreader bar and engine hoist make it a one man show.

Attachments

• DSC01914.JPG
    DSC01914.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 91

chriswitt

I used 2 heavy duty pcs of angle Iron under the rockers.... and 4 guys with some budweiser muscles. Worked fine. I am pretty sure the tub weights about 600 lbs. (with out doors, fenders, hood, and Tail gate). Be sure to weld in braces at door jambs. I also "x" braced engine bay area too.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I bought 6 rope block and tackle kits at Harbor Frieight, put 6 eye bolt lags into trusses and lifted at the frame mounting holes. ran all the ropes to a shackle & then to a 1500# winch. Worked great but took a couple trys to get all the ropes tentioned properly so it lifted evenly.

jakestaaa

i used several short (24inch)" chains attached with bolts and washers to the threads for the seat belts and seat mounts. then used another short chain through the loops and tied them together in the middle of the tub. lifted with a chain hoist hanging from pole barn truss's. had to use ratchet straps from front to back to keep it level. i left the doors and tailgate attached and closed in an effort to keep it straight. The end result was fine. however, it tweeked quite a bit during the lift and i was sketched that it wasnt gonna be the same. i would use braces and compromise paint if i ever do another frame off.