• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What Bilstien Shocks? (f250/3.5SL) Help!

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
What is the best Bilstein Setup for my 3.5" suspension lift no body lift,1 shock F250 mounts in the front (1" from top of wheel well) stock location 1 shock in rear. Better to mount on front mount or rear mount?

Here is what I have come up with so far...

FRONT
7100 remote res short body front 255/70? 10", 12", 14" travel?

REAR
5100 rear BE56253-H5 (bilstein recomended) says I will have to modify the bump stops.

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
This is what I understand is the best combination for F250 towers in front, 3.5SL and stock mounts in rear:

Front - 7100 series - AK7112SB 12 inch travel - short body with Reservoir
360/80 Valving

Rear - 5125 series - BE5-6248-H5 10 inch travel with 255/70 valving

At least these are the part numbers that are on my "to purchase" list. Might want to see what others chime in with.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I am running a cleveland with iron heads and a winch on the front so maybe that would call for higher valving numbers? The website recommends 255/70 on the front 7100's for an SUV.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The 255/70 will be too soft, you need more rebound. The 360/80 works for coil spring suspension and single shock up front.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Thanks Garberz! Going to TDS?

How about the length? 8, 12, 14 front and what about the rear.

Just emailed lee at http://www.raceshock.com/, i'll let you know what he says.

Last edited:

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor

Umm...
360/80 Valving

;D

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I have the same setup (except a Windsor not a Cleveland) and had the same question... I didn't even have to use the search function ;D

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
Umm...
360/80 Valving

;D

I agree. I have a 3.5" SL and a 2" BL with the 14 in travel shocks and the shock body is almost too big.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks Garberz! Going to TDS?

Yeah, I'm planning on being there Thurs. morning. Like the rest have said, the 12' short body (AK7112SB) will be fine. I was able to use the 14" because my mounts are 2" longer than yours. :)

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
GrillMaster- Have you heard from Lee at Raceshocks yet? I emailed and called a couple of times in the last week or two and havent heard from him. I was leaning toward the Bilsteins as so many folks here are happy with them.

With that said, I have been doing my own research and I am now leaning toward the Fox 2.0 Reservoir shocks. Quality is also supposed to be outstanding and they offer a compression dampening system (for an extra $75) that enables you to dial in everything (softer and stiffer than your initial pre-desired valving). They are a little more $ than the Bilsteins, but for the adjustability, rebuildability and the ability to tune before different types of driving, I think I may take the jump.

Anybody have any experience with the Fox stuff?

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Still no word (email) from Lee. May try to call him later. May need to find a new vendor.

Don't know anything about Fox shocks. I am told a good shock with proper valving should not need adjustability. I also am on a budget and Bilstiens are not cheep! I am however interested... Anyone on here using these Fox shocks?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've never tried e-mailing lee, but he always answered the phone when i called him. also ask him if he may have any rebuilt 7100's, mine were rebuilt when i got them. it'll save you some money.

just call him!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I am guessing that its fairly new technology. I know that they are available, but they were not yet listed on the Fox website....said they are working on it. When I talked to Mark at Fox, I asked a bunch of Qs and he said that their product is not limited to a single ratio of 5 or 6 valving options like the Bilsteins. They can put together the valving in any ratio you require. The adjustable compression dampening system sounds similar to what the Rancho 9000s offer, but in the case of the Fox design, the primary setting can start at whatever requirements your system needs (when they build it--custom) and then you can go up or down from there. As well, since these are reservoir shocks, they can withstand the pound of fast-paced travel (without overheating) and are rebuildable...and if so desired can be revalved at any point to meet your changing needs. Most of their suppliers will re-valve them for free if it isnt just right after your original order. I know they are not cheap...but it sounds like a pretty nice option, if you can afford it and want the ability to tune the ride. I was told by Mark (@ Fox) and as well by a sales guy at SDHQ (found on pirate; pirate members get 10+% off through them) that these shocks are increasingly popular for (and were designed for) the Heep guys, who do alot of mixed driving...they wanted the adjustability and Fox delivered. Sounds like it would work great for me (and many of us driving EBs).

Not trying to sell anything, just looking for anyone with some feedback. I need to get my measurements together...but I am hoping to get some ordered by the end of the week...would love some feedback by then.

I already left Lee @ Raceshock two voice messages and an email...but, I will not beg anyone to take my business...few discounts are that good. No hard feelings and I hope he is OK--usually a solid vendor only 'flakes' when something is wrong; I certainly hope thats not the case.

Cheers!

John

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I left him a message this morning. Looks like you can get them for about $175/ea. from other vendors. Let me know what you find out about those Fox shocks. I want to get something ordered quick for my trip in 10 days to Tierra Del Sol. Has anyone used them? I wanted a tried and tested on an EB shock.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?...=All&SubChar=Q
2X Part #: AK7112SB06 7100s for the front
$370.50 shipped to my door in 4 business days

Check em out! I'll be testing them all weekend at Tierra Del Sol!
I think you need to relocate that remote unit as you will find that your tire will rip it off (or at least dig into it pretty good). Only happens when you turn sharp AND stuff the wheel, but it will happen if you do much off roading so plan on moving them now. Both my 33 and 35 tires (both 12.50 widths)were a problem before I relocated mine out of the way.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I think you need to relocate that remote unit as you will find that your tire will rip it off (or at least dig into it pretty good). Only happens when you turn sharp AND stuff the wheel, but it will happen if you do much off roading so plan on moving them now. Both my 33 and 35 tires (both 12.50 widths)were a problem before I relocated mine out of the way.

I stuffed it pretty good in the garage at full turn and had about an inch. I can also rotate them towards the coil for more space. I'm running 35x12.5x15s and about 3.25" backspacing.

I suppose I could mount them off the inner fender. I will know for sure after this weekend.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Wow front shocks are amazing! It's like a brand new truck.

Will these work in the rear? 3.5 lift with stock mounts?

5150 Series, F4-BF5-A196-H1, 10", 255/70