• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What carb do you recommend??

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
I'm in the market for a new Carb. Here's what I have.
351 Windsor, 30 over, edlebrock performer, mild cam, 35's w/4 11's
Any suggestions??

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might want to go with the Edelbrock if little to no offroad is in your future 600 CFM is all you'll need. I'm partial to Holley's for offroad as they are easy to modify to perform well offroad.

zion2004

carb

TML.........
if you go the edelbrock route and you have a performer intake...do yourself a
favor and get the 1/2 phenolic carb spacer.....I have the edelbrock set up on my 302 and it was driving me crazy with hard starting when it was hot...turn
out it would boil the fuel over and flood the engine....the phenolic spacer
(about $12 on ebay) worked like a charm....i had hood clearance...not sure
if you have that issue.

Steve T.
pittsburgh

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I put the Edelbrock 500 cfm electric choke carb on my 302 (with a performer intake) and I love it. Ran great right out of the box.

Good Luck!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The edelbrock will run great for the street. Just don't get stuck on a steep driveway waiting for traffic. if you want to on and off road find a decent q=jet.

Hayburner

Loc.
Port Orchard, WA
Has anyone ever tried running a Holley Economaster off road ? I don't know how well it would on a steep grade, but they were a replacement for a Q jet, 450 cfm, came out after the 70s gas crunch I ran one for years on my old 2x4I never had any problems with it, and it helped out the gas mileage, I see them nos on Ebay once in awhile

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Most are good I have run a carter 625 since 86 not had meney problems with it. Its on a 351W with 33's and 4:11's works well and pulls about 10MPG.;D ;D ;D Bill :p :D %)

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
TML.........
favor and get the 1/2 phenolic carb spacer.....I have the edelbrock set up on my 302 and it was driving me crazy with hard starting when it was hot...turn
if you have that issue.

Steve T.
pittsburgh

X2 for the phenolic spacer

67horse

Loc.
Riverside CA
Ok i see that everyone is either on the holley or edelbrock wagon now has anyone run a predator carb and if so what did they think about it?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
While my 76 was still a daily driver, I ran an Edelbrock, and it did fine (10 mpg, no matter what)

When it became a trail vehicle, I went to a Q-Jet, and that served me well.

I've never had any kind of luck with Holley, some folks swear by them, I kind of see them as nice paperweights.

I've always wanted to use a Predator carb, ever since seeing what they do on the dirt tracks, and they are a curious design. They're not cheap though, which has held me back (I've never run across one at a swap meet either, and never bothered looking on Ebay or Craigslist for one)

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
For DD I am Edelbrock fan, easy to work on. Get a spring loaded needle and seat set and block off the valley between the two bowls and it will do pretty good off road as well.

Have not had any luck with Holleys at all. Just my experience

OP
OP
tml

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
TML.........
if you have that issue.

Steve T.
pittsburgh

It's funny you mention that. I'm running a Q-jet right now and I needed the spacer to adapt to the performer. I had to get a recessed breather to accompany the stock hood. Thats one of the reasons I'm searching for an alternative carb. I'd like to get rid of the spacer and get more air.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
I'm running a Q-jet on a 351. Dropped base air cleaner with a just under 2" element. Had to run a square bore/spread bore adapter to the intake but it serves me well on and off road. With the small primaries you can get good mileage out of it. I got 16 on the highway pulling a pop-up camper.

I've never had good luck with Holly's or Edelbrock carbs. hate 'em.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I put the Edelbrock 500 cfm electric choke carb on my 302 (with a performer intake) and I love it. Ran great right out of the box.

Good Luck!

X2 I have the same carb ran it at angles where I was CERTAIN I was gonna roll and it worked great, it is also extremely well mannered on the street, oh and by they way I haven't adjusted it either ;D ;D ;D