• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What does the original gas cap look like?

munsonbw

Loc.
Huntsville, AL
I am trying to get to the bottom of why the gas tank on my '68 is collapsed. I have a feeling that the gas cap that is on it now is not supposed to be. It is not vented, just a flat cap with two tabs sticking up to turn it. It does have an aftermarket electric fuel pump, but it puts out 5 psi.

Any pics would be great.

Ben

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
For 66-71 the caps were vented, 72-76 had overflow tanks and charcoal canisters.
Pic courtesy of JBG:

Attachments

• 6fuelcapt.jpg
    6fuelcapt.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 158

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Ben,
By the way, I forgot to mention that you can find both types at most auto parts stores. I found them at Pep-Boys for 5.00 each. Stant brand 11702-(non vented) and Stant 11048-(vented). They are not interchangeable. The vented has a shallow ring depth where the non vented is deeper.
Edge