• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What donor vehicle do I need for an EFI swap?

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
I have a 72 sport with a carbureted 302. I want EFI. Was going to put TBI but looking at everything on here it seems to be a better way to go with 5.0 EFI. I am not a heavy 4 wheeler But i want good reliability. What is my best bet for this? What style and year of donor is needed? Thanks Donnie

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I am certainly no expert but I recommend that you find a late 80's crown vic or marquis . Most of these cars had an AOD and the trannies went out because the overdrive linkage was notorious for falling off and it was too expensive to fix an AOD. This makes them very plentiful and you see them everywhere . They are a speed density motor so modifications to the internal drive line are limited but acceptable . You only need the computer, relays, upper and lower intake and sensors, fuel rail, injectors, gas pedal with cable ... I think you get the idea .

It doesn't sound like you are trying to do anything but make your bronco run with fuel injection and it will work very well for you with this set up. If you have a vacuum booster for your brakes, you can still run the crown vic/ marquis upper, there is room. However , if you want to turn the upper around and run it towards the passenger side, you will need to get a mustang fuel rail.

Good luck ! I'm sure you will get all the help you need from the great folks on Classic... ;)

howiebilt

OP
OP
I

itsabronco

Loc.
Banning, CA.
Thanks, I am just looking for a nice, reliable ride so i can have fun without chuggin out black smoke, stalling the engine, and killing the battery trying to restart . Nothing hi perf. or no rock crawling. Just climbing up stuff and haulin @ss in the washes.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
The T-bird stuff is supposedly smaller physically and reported to be the most restrictive of any of the conversion donors . I would stay away from them unless somebody can prove different. Besides , the crown vics and marquis are more plentiful .

JMO

howiebilt

msweb

Bronco Guru
Ok, I'd ask about the Vics and Marquis in another post and had a fair response leading towards a Explorer but a cheap one with a V8 isn't exactly cluttering up the classifieds...

Application: Mostly street driven but does need to be somewhat crawlable. Nothing Hard-Core, it's only lifted 3" and running 4.56's with a C4. Stock 302 2bbl is working fine now but is on it's last leg and doesn't like to run while standing on the bumper....

Same topic I'm on at the moment, not trying to hijack

msweb

Bronco Guru
P.S. Welcome to the board, you've found the best site for you and your EB!