• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what harness should i get? HELP

Ruben1198

What harness is the easiest to put on and on the walllet. 66 bronco. light switch on the left.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Cheapest and easiest to put it in may be two exclusively mutual concepts.
I have heard that Painless and American Autowire are the best but I believe they are the most expensive.
Centech was the "old reliable" for many years and is probably of great quality, it is definitely one of the cheapest.
I believe WH has all three of these.
There are others like Ron Francis but you get what you pay for.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
When I purchased my 76, it already had the Centech harness installed. What I love about it is every single wire has it's purpose stenciled on it: right turn, horn, choke, radio etc. Makes it much more simple to chase wires, troubleshoot issues or figure out what that loose wire hanging under the dash is.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
If you get the centech harness and have some issues, be careful about looking in the forum for fixes. Centech made some changes to the harness over the years so some fixes posted on the forum will not work anymore.

For cheapest, speedway engineering sells a decent universal harness.

ogr

Loc.
Vail
I went with the centech. As stated all wires are labeled every few inches. 95% of terminals are already installed and they use weather pack ends for lights and stuff exposed to the elements. I'd never installed a harness before so I was a bit hesitant. After reading how many non electrical inclined folks pulled it off I figured to give it a try. Much easier than expected. Good instructions too.

jeff_gates

AAW also labels on their wires, you will need some tools, wire stripper and crimp tool, get good ones. I used AAW for my Camaro and Bronco, Both started right up when I was done.

--Jeff

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I Put an E-Z-Wiring harness from E-Bay .. One i bought ha 4 sections.. rear light and rear stuff... Front lights & outside stuff... Under Hood stuff..... & then the under dash harness.
.... I'll give you an ideal of how it went together. It had a Fuse block .. with about 20 foot of wire. You mounted the fuse block Pulled a labeled wire OFF IT AND routed it to the back. . When that wire got to the back you cut it off and wired it to .. say the rear tail light plug that was mostly provided.
... Since I'm an old parts guy . I knew some better plugs so I went to a parts store & bought a few plug I knew that were slightly better..
... The only part of this harness I was disappointed in was the Ignition switch.
.. I think I gave about $235.00 for mine & it had about 18 fuse ports.
... Next time I want one with about 30 ports.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I like my Centech harness and the install was pretty easy for the most part. The only thing that it is lacking if anything is upgrade options for additions in the future. However he offers some other little fuse panels that would easily accommodate that if you needed more options with the only downside being that you have to decide where to mount another fuse panel which could be a bit of a PITA I think!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Another vote for EZ Wire, I was surprised at how well put together it was for the price. Every wire has what it is, printed on it every 12 inches. I sold a painless harness that came with a Bronco I bought and bought the EZ Wire (because I wanted more circuits) and am very happy with it. In my opinion some of the other harnesses are overpriced for what amounts to some wires a block and some fuses. don't get me wrong, you will not regret buying any of the harnesses out there, they are all good quality products, it is just that in my opinion most of them are overpriced, by a large margin, for what they are.

ransil

Bronco Guru
easy on the wallet and easy to put in.

centech just don't use the lawnmower switch.

I don't know why they supply a $35 adapter when they could provide a stock replacement switch for $15

SeanT4x4

I just installed the AAW. I had never done a wire kit before and it started on the first attempt. I have heard that the directions on the AAW are better than the centech, but i dont know that to be true myself. I stared at the directions for a while before actually digging in. Once i got going it wasnt bad. Also the AAW is a few hundred less than painless.

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
I was highly impressed by Eric at Painless. Not many companies reach out to the community when designing a product. Especially to the degree he did. I'm sure the others are good, but any American company that tries that hard to make sure their product is tailored to what we need gets my money. There is a $50 rebate on painless chassis harnesses right now btw.