• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what order should I do these upgrades?

Jeepeater

1st a list of my current setup. 66bronco. 33"x12" tires, 3.5" lift 1987 302 5.0. c4 tranny, 3:50 gears.
I want to go with a 2" body lift and 35"x12" tires. I need to change my gears to 4:10 or 4:56. I want to be able to cruise on the highway, so I was thinking 4:10 because I have no overdrive. Also going to put some lockers in whil I change the gears. I also would like to put some sound deadening material on the inside of the tub and carpet over that.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
1. Body Lift (its cheap and has many benefits over and above tire fitment, do it first)

2. 35" Tires (not as cheap, but easy to do, and you can decide how badly you need that gear change after the tire swap. You can live with 3.50's and 35's for a while, until you've saved up the dough for the gears and lockers.)

3. Gears and lockers (the most expensive phase).

4. Interior carpet and stuff (I always save the non-mechanical/performance stuff for last!)

Just my opinion there...

Dusty

OP
OP
J

Jeepeater

Question on the body lift. I don't think I will have a problem taking or cutting off the old mounts. Although the ones attatched at the front floor pans seem to have some runst building up around the bolt and the PO coated over them with some sort of POR or something. How will I get them out?If I cut the bolt, Will I be able to unscrew the bolt withought damaging my floor pans? any tips? advice?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id go with the gears first and 4.56's usually 4.56 or 4.88 are recommended for 35's. Then the BL to make way for the 35's after that then drive see if you still need sound deadening materail a the body lift may reduce some of the noise.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Forgot to ask this do you have front disc brakes already? If not then scratch the order and do the brakes first as the big tires will do you no good if you cant stop.

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
I had 4.10's in my '69 with 33's and 35's. With the 33's I could cruise about 75 MPH at around 3200 RPM. 35's and 4.10's dropped my cruise RPM to about 3000.

My '77 had a mild build 302 and a C4 w/ 3.50's and 35's. I never had a power problem on the street and it never felt "doggie". Trail driving required 4 low a lot more.

Check out Mileys gear calculator to play with what will work best for you. If your going for highway gearing the 35's and 3.50's might not be all that bad for you. (around 2500 RPM for ~75 MPH).

https://home.comcast.net/~jcmiley/bronco gears.html

I'm with Dusty: Body lift, tires, then maybe gears. With a two inch body and the 3 1/2 suspension you should be good to clear 35's all day long.

*If you haven't done brakes I agree with everyone they are first on the to do list!