• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should I do. Got 69 bronco

Rangerbj

I got a 1969 bronco that will come with a 289 and c4 tranny out of 1966 mustang.
Transfer case is out and on the ground along with the entire steering system. Wiring is also pulled out.
The engine is an older rebuild and the C4 is supposed to work.
The bronco was born with a 289 and 3spd on column, but they are long gone.
What would your best advice be to get this bronco back up and running as affordable as possible but using good parts that won't need repairing in near future.
Bronco will be used mainly around town and some local off road, but nothing taxing.
Thanks for your advice.

yakelys69

Explorer 5.0 4x4 Swap, Engine, harness, computer, 4R70W.
Lots of threads on this.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Does the c-4 have the correct output for the bronco dana 20? Power or manual steering? Some pics can help answer that. Since the wiring is torn out I would start fresh with a centech or one of the other recommended harnesses.

OP
OP
R

Rangerbj

The C4 does not have adapter. It was fresh pull from mustang. Steering was also jerked out by PO I have access to older bronco manual steering

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The car C4 will need to be disassembled and have the correct main shaft installed in order to make it compatible with a 4x4 application. While possible to do this and the adapter kit comes with the correct main shaft, you'll still be running a lighter duty car transmission in place of a true EB 4x4 C4 with heavier duty parts throughout.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Two factors that will dictate a lot.... Time and money!
Time: How soon do you want to be driving it? Example: Do you have time to rebuild the motor or do you want to roll the dice and worry about other things?
Money: After buying it, how much money do you have to invest into it?? Nobody wants to waste money on unnecessary parts but decisions will have to be made. Can you afford the brand new complete steering system with tilt that basically bolts into place or we going to be looking for deals on used parts?
Lots of great people here that will help you along (and help you spend your money)! :):):)
Welcome aboard and looking forward to your updates!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Your 69' came with a 302, 289 bolts up the same though of course.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since most seems to be taken out of the truck I would do any repairs body-wise, paint engine compartment and interior tub. Install Roll Bar and 3-point seat belts. Re-do original seats or upgrade.

Install new wire harness. Mostly original build - Centech or Painless Bronco Harness. More custom - American Autowire or Painless Universal

Safety first - Upgrade Brake System and add Power Steering.

Since the engine and transmission are not original to the truck I would go with a 5.0L and AX-15 since your Bronco is currently a manual. Sell the parts you have to help with conversion.

OP
OP
R

Rangerbj

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Maybe I should contact those high end Bronco building shops that pull engines and trannies to install Coyote engines and new automatics. Maybe they would sell me the complete older set up for a reasonable price????
Do those companies do that?
Thanks again

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Sell the thing while the demand is high and buy a complete stock Bronco with everything in place from the factory. its tough enough to keep a stock one going without trying to put the puzzle together with missing pieces. if you are up to the challenge then go for it. research what you actually want and build in that direction. Get a big ass white board and start planning. Oh get a tetanus shot and a very empty credit card.