• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should I expect from my 200 inline 6?

BeardedBlues

Contributor
Right now I have a 200, 4.56 gears (this is what I was told), 33 inch tires and a 3 speed on the column. My questions are for those with stock configurations and for those with non-stock configurations. Please state what changes you have made if its non- stock.

1 What size tires?

2. What is max speed?

3. Do you have enough power?

4. Would you do anything different?

Right now i am at the point where I have to decide how the build will end up. Do I return it to uncut with 33" skinnies or keep it cut. Everything depends on what I can get out of the 200.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Based on the stock 6 cyl in my dad's U13:

1. small stock tires

2. with 4.56's it will sound like it is going to blow up at 60

3. No

4. Buy a V8 if just building a Bronco to drive (his was a collectible early U13)

crozetcrew

Loc.
Bakersfield
My dad is running a 200. He has 4.88 gears, 35" boggers, 3speed tranny and headers. Not sure what else. Lots of torque. Isn't street legal anymore. It's keeping up with a lot of V8's and won all the mudboggs last year in the 6 cylinder class running 35" tires and 33" tire class.

Chris
Picture_1708_-_Copy.jpg

Picture_10821.jpg

218020_168847069836867_3259374_n.jpg

bmbm

Is your Bronco mostly street driven? The 35's might be hard for the 200 to push to highway speeds because it is only 200 cubic inches. With the 33's and your gearing it might be a good street cruiser and some off road. You could go to fordsix.com for ideas on more power from the six. Uncut with tall skinnies looks good to me just depends on how you use the Bronco.

OP
OP
BeardedBlues

BeardedBlues

Contributor
It will be an all purpose machine with the exception of rock crawling. It's main duties will be pulling a 17 foot Xpress bass boat, hauling the 4 wheeler around, running back roads, fields and the occasional drive to work. I don't mind doing some performance work especially if it'll get me up to 65 mph. If that's even possible.

ILikeBond

the 200 is known for being rock solid, will last forever, and there's a group of guys who play with them (check out fordsix.com), but honestly - especially since you're mentioning hauling and off roads, I think you need a V8. I've had my 200 I6 for 3.5 years and its underwhelming. I'm running 4.11 gears and 31" tires. She'll do 65, maybe even a few over, on the highway, but as soon as she meets a hill of any substance, she struggles to stay in the 40s, which can be inconvenient. Admittedly, I have one cylinder with bad compression and she was running very lean until I had someone adjust the jets on the carb, but personally I'm ready for a V8 (and in the middle of doing the exchange).

bmbm

six cylinders

Just my opinion but you probably need another hundred or so cubic inches so a v8. Then you have to weld in new motor mounts, bigger radiator, new trans probably, driveline work and find a v8 motor. I considered that along time ago but it looked like it was easier just to buy a v8 Bronco. Have you considered buying a used pickup for towing your boat? It would be easier, faster and maybe cheaper.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
My (wife's) 200 will barely get out of it's way. 33's and 4.11 matted on flat ground (with a downhill start) it indicates 65, might actually be 70+ since I haven't changed the speedo gear.

Don't think I would want to tow a boat that fast with it though, but that wouldn't be a problem now since it wouldn't pull 3rd;D

Jim W.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Right now I have a 200, 4.56 gears (this is what I was told), 33 inch tires and a 3 speed on the column. My questions are for those with stock configurations and for those with non-stock configurations. Please state what changes you have made if its non- stock.

1 What size tires?

2. What is max speed?

3. Do you have enough power?

4. Would you do anything different?

Right now i am at the point where I have to decide how the build will end up. Do I return it to uncut with 33" skinnies or keep it cut. Everything depends on what I can get out of the 200.

That part is directly proportional to how much you are willing to spend on it. classicinlines.com tech section has a dyno section with results of modifications. In stock form, it's not a freeway runner. If mainly driven 55mph, it does fine. Match up tire size to where it's pulling about 2850 rpm at 55-60mph and you should have no problems. Mine is modified, and top speed is not an issue. I've had mine to 85, as fast as any of the V8's I've had. They aren't a sports car. Good luck with your decision.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of my EBs I used for a daily driver for years with a 250 I6. I ran 35" tires but the gears were 4.11s and that combination of a "few more ponies than a 170 or 200" routinely did "OK" on the highway to about 70 mph. You can wake up the 200, as already noted, but I'm not sure you'll be happy with those 4.56 gears if highway cruising is in your future plans.