• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should I expect to pay for used gt40 heads both alum and cast iron?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finalizing my head choice, is it worth it to get the GT40 over a stock 302 truck head?? At what cost? Thanks

Oh, building a more or less stock 5.0 block, stock crank/pistons, rv cam, edelbrock performer intake.

mr.n

Finalizing my head choice, is it worth it to get the GT40 over a stock 302 truck head?? At what cost? Thanks

Oh, building a more or less stock 5.0 block, stock crank/pistons, rv cam, edelbrock performer intake.

The Gt40P are much more common... see them for $100-300 a pair for core.
Not worth shipping... but find a local junk yard.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks, ebay is wacked, $500 for a used pair of cast iron gt40's....

Maybe not so wacked, corral gt40 cast are going for about 350-400...

Junk yards here i come...

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I paid $700 for a complete Explorer engine with the front serpentine dress, intakes, and heads. I'd say that might be the way to go if your doing an efi swap already and/or need any parts. You could also sell off the stuff you don't use.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess, even guys on cragslist here are wanting $400, in well used up condition...

Buying the whole engine sounds like a plan, what years to get gt-40 with no P heads on an explorer??

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
96' and early 97's. I don't think you should really shy away from the P heads unless you already have a nice set of non-P friendly headers. If you need headers any way it's not a big deal and the heads are cheaper anyway.

Where in AZ are you? I'm hoping to cruise a couple of the yards in the Prescott area in the next week or two. I can check for you.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
As was said p-heads arent bad unless you need to run headers, I am using stock Bronco manifolds with mine, just have to reove them to change plugs.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Use BC's headers , and P heads are no longer an issue .
A bit salty though.
I bought an entire motor and front dress also. $700 - only using EFI right now - front dress will be later - and gt heads.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
what is the year of the 5.0 that you have? It may have decent heads already if the are E7 heads. I really wouldnt bother with P heads or gt40's for the price and what little power you actually will get out of them. You could take your stock heads and have gt40 sized or larger valves in and be just as good. Then at least you would have rebuilt heads and larger valves and not have to worry about specail headers. Even if you can find a good set of gt40 heads I'd still get them rebuilt and they may need it anyways so add that onto your price and your pushing $700+ spend a little more and you can get some good aftermarket heads.
I bought a set of world products windser JR heads that the seller claimed only had 300 miles on them for $600 well most of the valve seals were jacked and there was a ton of carbon on all the valves dont know what the deal was but I'd say that engine was burning some oil. They will need to be rebuilt luckliy the guides and seats are good I'll just clean the valves and replace the seals