• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What should i pay for a 1977 Bronco

Metionic

I am currently looking for an early bronco project and i have stumbled upon a 1977 near by they are asking 8500 the body has surface rust but doesn't appear to have an major rust and everything is said to be in working order. This vehicle is un-restored and needs the interior done completely should i try and get him down on the price?

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
the body has surface rust but doesn't appear to have an major rust

Make sure you check all the prone areas for rust with a bright flashlight. Any rig I have seen with surface rust usually has it worse in other areas. They typically tend to rot more from the inside first. If overall solid, complete, and mechanically sound probably worth it. If your not mechanically inclined or knowledgable enough, have a friend check it out with you. Always make a much lower offer and work your way up if needed.

OP
OP
M

Metionic

It is a texas truck to my knowledge. Its currently sitting in texas ill put up pictures tomorrow

Last edited:

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Is this the green 1977 that was in a town east of Cleveland, TX? Saw pictures of it online and looked like a nice truck. If it truly only has surface rust I think the $8,500 would be a decent price even with it needing the full interior. From the pictures looked like it had been sitting outside in the elements for a while.

OP
OP
M

Metionic

This is the green truck yes, its close to clevland as well we may be talking about the same truck i need to check it out better to confirm just surface rust but if there turns out to be some more than just minor rust what should i try to barter towards

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
I don't know pricing as I'm new to Broncos, here's what I got last September if it helps on pricing for you. I think I got a good deal.

69' Bronco - Good title
Power steering
James Duff suspension lift
351W EFI with about 140,000 miles on it.
ARB locker front
8 point roll cage
Fiberglass hood
Early year doors that can remove the window frame?
Old 351W - condition unknown.
New NAPA crate 351W that was never installed
Extra 3rd member and a lot of spare other parts that I can't identify....
Stock tire carrier
Soft top for summer
A/C parts
Spare heater

Needed tires - had 35's, put on new 33's. (old tires date code was 1988)
Steel wheels - ok, but kinda cruddy..but useable.
Water pump leaked bad
Power steering pump leaked bad.
Bronco license tags had not been renewed since 2004, so it had sat for 9 years...but it started right up.

$2000.00

J.E.

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Hard to say what price you should target without seeing detailed pictures (the few I saw online aren't there anymore). Even with some rust beyond surface if that truck runs and drives and is mechanically decent I think it is worth the $8,500. The ultimate cost of that truck though isn't just what you pay for it on day 1. It's what you pay day 1 plus all the money you will need to invest to get it to the Bronco you want. What is your end goal for the truck? And do you plan to do the work or are you going to pay someone to do it?

And I think that Bronco is Ford color light jade which I think is a good color.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I am currently looking for an early bronco project and i have stumbled upon a 1977 near by they are asking 8500 the body has surface rust but doesn't appear to have an major rust and everything is said to be in working order. This vehicle is un-restored and needs the interior done completely should i try and get him down on the price?

Make sure all VINS match title or you may have DMV issues. Frame, vin tag and title...

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
Make sure all VINS match title or you may have DMV issues. Frame, vin tag and title...

I've never noticed the DMV checking more than one VIN plate, and usually the one they check is the one that's easy to check without requiring them to move, bend, strain much..

J.E.

67RT

Bronco Guru
I've never noticed the DMV checking more than one VIN plate, and usually the one they check is the one that's easy to check without requiring them to move, bend, strain much..

J.E.
Yep but for resale u don't want to get stuck with someone else's problem, plus if a frame VIN ever comes up stolen your car is seized. You lose. It is a bargaining chip also if they don't match.
My state maryland is a frame vin state as are most, so I just needed a title and no inspection to register! I am told insurance company could technically void a claim since they are insuring the VIN on glovebox and not the actual VIN, so I am going to great lengths with MVA to get it fixed. Go to MVA for full inspection by trooper, off to circuit court to get a writ proving I own the vehicle since actual vehicle vin not on title! then back to trooper where They will remove VIN on glovebox and install state issued VIN tag. They will not install the one I get from Marti.
So you may limit your resale ability to a knowledgeable bronco owner that doesn't want a cobbled together truck or one with questionable history..