• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What size radius arm extensions?

ashuss

Loc.
Littleto CO
I am thinking of extending my radius arms, I have read 10 to 12 inches is the standard. I have a 4.5 inch lift and run 35's. I want to use the factory bushings, so I'm thinking 12 inches will be better, less movement at the bushings. Any Ideas?

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
From what I understand at some point when you extend the arms they will hit the frame at full compression. I thought the optimal extension to avoid this was something in the neighborhood of 9". Don't go off as if what i am saying is fact here, just use it as a point to start your research.

Dan

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I purchased the 3.5" Bullit Proof Suspension Kit from JBG. The extended radius arms come with the kit. They are made by Fabritek (sp?). They are 12" longer than stock. The directions say to bolt them on. I welded as I have it stripped down to the frame and we were welding other things on the frame. They are quite beefy and are curved to allow for wider tires with better turning radius. I don't see how you could bottom them out. The radius arm brackets drop the arms down a couple of inches. Every lift kit I have seen for a Bronco recommends extended radius arms for anything over 3.5".

Chris B.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I purchased the 3.5" Bullit Proof Suspension Kit from JBG. The extended radius arms come with the kit. They are made by Fabritek (sp?). They are 12" longer than stock. The directions say to bolt them on. I welded as I have it stripped down to the frame and we were welding other things on the frame. They are quite beefy and are curved to allow for wider tires with better turning radius. I don't see how you could bottom them out. The radius arm brackets drop the arms down a couple of inches. Every lift kit I have seen for a Bronco recommends extended radius arms for anything over 3.5".

Chris B.

Everything you say sounds correct. Unfortunatly if you read the initial post he is asking about extending his stock radius arms, not replacing them.

Dan

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have fabbed up two sets that were both extended 14". The first set used drop radius arm brackets (and stock C-bushing angle). The second set I changed a bit on the ends to eliminate the need for the drop brackets (and used 4-degree C bushings). Both were used with 5.5" lift coils and both work very well; ground clearance advantage going to the Mark 1 Mod 2 set.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I have fabbed up two sets that were both extended 14". The first set used drop radius arm brackets (and stock C-bushing angle). The second set I changed a bit on the ends to eliminate the need for the drop brackets (and used 4-degree C bushings). Both were used with 5.5" lift coils and both work very well; ground clearance advantage going to the Mark 1 Mod 2 set.

Are these the ones you mensioned here?

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
(Everything you say sounds correct. Unfortunatly if you read the initial post he is asking about extending his stock radius arms, not replacing them.)

Sorry. You are correct, I did not read the original thread fully.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
If it ever stops raining here, prob some time tis summer I plan to extend my arms 6 inches. I am not sure what type of ends I am going to use be it Heim Joints, Johnny Joints, or some kind of polyurethane end. Though insted of the end going into a hole like the stock arms, it will have a bolt going throug, so it can pivit easier.

I think 6 inches will be a good overall extension.

OP
OP
A

ashuss

Loc.
Littleto CO
I went with 12 inches, they should come out something like Bronchole's. I'll put the pics in my gallery. Thanks for all the info.

uncle ray

glad to hear someone else considering a shorter extension, i guess we must be more secure in our manhood!;D

Dana at BroncoHut suggested to me a shorter extension, like 4-6" using the stock mount and only moving the axle forward that much. i'm leaning towards his advice.

If it ever stops raining here, prob some time tis summer I plan to extend my arms 6 inches. I am not sure what type of ends I am going to use be it Heim Joints, Johnny Joints, or some kind of polyurethane end. Though insted of the end going into a hole like the stock arms, it will have a bolt going throug, so it can pivit easier.

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills

X2

This is what I am Installing!!;D 6" Is perfect in my opinion..

Aaron

Attachments

• arm2.JPG
    arm2.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 50
  • arm4.JPG
    arm4.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 28

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
X2

This is what I am Installing!!;D 6" Is perfect in my opinion..

Aaron

Nice I see Lars hooked you up there;D
I agree X3 that 6 is the way to go. I'm running the Cage arms and lets just say that they are too long and will soon be swapped out for something that works better