• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what size reducer?

rockinrich

Contributor
hey guys,hopefully this falls into the category of 'there are no stupid questions' lol,but for the 5/16 fuel line i got some 5/16 to 3/8 brass reducer fittings and even heating up water and dipping the plastic fuel line in it seems impossible to get it on so then i thought maybe i should have gone with the inside dimension on the plastic fuel line and got some 1/4 by 3/8 brass reducer fittings.Now i can get those on pretty easy but i was just wondering if the hole size on the 1/4 reducer will cause an issue with restricting the fuel albeit it's just for about a half inch or so, or should i just keep trying to get the 5/16 fitting on,i'll post a couple pics,thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_20240507_132114561.jpg
    IMG_20240507_132114561.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240507_132043438.jpg
    IMG_20240507_132043438.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 7

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Usually you don't want to restrict fuel flow. However, what size engine & hp #'s and what type of driving you do will determine if you get away with the small 1/4" line.

If you could, I'd stay with larger dia fittings if possible.

Last edited:

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
there is a tool for the asembly process ... dorman makes a kit... I would not use the wrong fitting with the wrong tube size.....

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Usually you don't want to restrict fuel flow. However, what size engine & hp #'s and what type of driving you do will determine if you get away with the small 1/4" line.

If you could, I'd stay with larger dia fittings if possible.
I hear ya,so the initial barb fittings i bought were probably the right size.Even if i can get the 5/16 o.d. fuel line onto a 5/16 o.d. barb fitting i would think it would weaken the plastic that's on the barb,probably overthinking it,lol.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Agree, I'd be more concerned about the wrong combo of hose / fittings than the restriction it creates.
Yeah,in my mind it makes sense to use a barb who's o.d. is the same size as the i.d. of the line you're trying to get it onto but that would be too easy,lol.

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
Yeah,in my mind it makes sense to use a barb who's o.d. is the same size as the i.d. of the line you're trying to get it onto but that would be too easy,lol.
Different hose has different fitting requirements, its important to match the hose to the proper fittings if its any style that doesn't use a clamp to secure it. Rubber hose with clamps is a lot more forgiving to a sloppy fitting.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Are you working on stock fuel lines on an early Bronco?

The stock "plastic" line runs along frame rail from tank to fuel pump.
5/16" rubber fuel line slips OVER the plastic fuel line, and is secured with hose clamps.
There were not any fittings inserted into the plasctic fuel line.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Different hose has different fitting requirements, its important to match the hose to the proper fittings if its any style that doesn't use a clamp to secure it. Rubber hose with clamps is a lot more forgiving to a sloppy fitting.
true,i really just wanna say screw it and run 3/8 gates fuel line and do away with any reducers,lol.

OP
OP
R

rockinrich

Contributor
Are you working on stock fuel lines on an early Bronco?

The stock "plastic" line runs along frame rail from tank to fuel pump.
5/16" rubber fuel line slips OVER the plastic fuel line, and is secured with hose clamps.
There were not any fittings inserted into the plasctic fuel line.
yes i am,i saw a post awhile back talking about rubber 5/16 to the nylon 5/16 line and i thought hmm,all of my connections from the fuel tanks both main and aux. as well as to the fuel pump and from there to the carb seem to require the larger 3/8 rubber hose and that's what the previous owner had on it.What i was surprised by was that where he connected the nylon to the rubber in various places there was no barbed fitting joining them he just put a hose clamp on holding them together,weird.