• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What To Look For in a Restoration Candidate?

canadianeh

Howdy.

I have been looking at vintage Broncos for a while and found a 69 for sale, the seller might even be a member here.

He claims the restoration is 85% complete. I haven't gone to see the vehicle yet, but I'm trying to understand the key things to look for.

According to the seller...

"Just need front floor pans, then ready for paint. Frame is awesome. Engine was gone through 2 years ago, hasn’t ran much since. I’ve got the entire harness out of it right now cleaning up all of the electrical. New full exhaust setup, full new reupholstered interior (tan).

Figure it needs about 2500-3000 more in parts and then paint

The engine bay pic was just the other day when I finished up the engine/headlight harness. Just need to tie into the dash and electrical will be complete. 302 auto trans

Don’t think I have a picture of the interior, but it’s all wrapped up still from the upholsterer/palomino tan. Front and rear seats, door panels, quarter panels, and dash pad

Yes interior is done (other than small stuff like door handles, window cranks, etc. Have some but I’d rather replace them with new stuff) frame is solid all the way front to back"

https://imgur.com/a/AAt5IH6

He's asking 25K CDN or approx 18.5K USD as is right now.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
restoration

Metal replacement, bodywork and paint are, by far the most expensive part of the process. Always look for the best body you can find. The mechanical portion is the easiest to tackle. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos.

OP
OP
C

canadianeh

Metal replacement, bodywork and paint are, by far the most expensive part of the process. Always look for the best body you can find. The mechanical portion is the easiest to tackle. Mark in San Diego; Beach City Broncos.

Thanks. Any opinions on the one pictured here?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not $18K US. There's a lot of work to be done on that truck just from the couple of pics you have there. How much are you going to tackle and how much will you farm out?

ngsd

Bronco Guru
They never need "just floor pans"! If it has some rust there is more somewhere. It may not be bad but sanding and blasting usually reveals more cash burn.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on “just floor pans”
Also it seems you can’t hear it run, because the harness is out. Is that right

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
18 K and you cant drive it? would you give that advise to anyone else looking for a car? these trucks are not that rare.

1970 Palmer

They never need "just floor pans"! If it has some rust there is more somewhere. It may not be bad but sanding and blasting usually reveals more cash burn.

X2.....VERY TRUE WORDS. I would worry about the black painted, maybe undercoated engine bay. It covers lots of sins. The inner front fenders are very prone to rust.

I recently purchased a advertised "rust free" 1970 with only 75,000 miles. It was very original, but closer inspection at the time of purchase showed it needed both floor pans, and both inner front fenders due to rust. I would not buy anything without an in person inspection.

Floor pans and inner fender panels are very fixable. It's just time consuming, and if you have to hire out the labor it's expensive due to the time.

OP
OP
C

canadianeh

Great advice here! Thanks - I will pass on it.

He did say it would be driveable if/when I come to look at it.

elan

Loc.
s
Remember this, over 200,000 Broncos were built, as the others stated, they aren't rare.
Take your time, come here with questions as there are some pretty smart fellers on this site. It is so easy to get upside down in these unless you know your stuff.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
His 85% is off, probably more like only 50% done. Intererior can be done in two days. Wiring may take weeks, it depends. Black paint covering underside, I would want to punch every corner with an awl to make sure it's real metal.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Here is a picture of my "fresh paint, just needs front floor pan repaired" I picked up years ago. As said beware of undercoating, AKA camouflage.

Attachments

• P8060009.jpg
    P8060009.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 60

LSharpNM

As others have said, body work is the biggest time and money sink; especially if you are paying someone else to do it like most people do. Try to find one with the best body possible. If you are looking to do a quality restoration, spending a few extra grand for one with a better body could end up saving you more money in the long run.

They all have rust, it is a matter of degree. That said, check all the usual locations carefully: top corner of the front inner fenders near the fire wall, floor pans, rockers, door posts, tailgate, under the windshield. Those are the common areas.

Also, try to find one that is as complete as possible. Fortunately they reproduce pretty much any part you can imagine for an EB, but all the little things that are missing will add up in a hurry and add a lot of extra expense to the project.

For a complete restoration, I wouldn't worry as much about cosmetics and it running and driving as I would about all the pieces being there and it having minimal rust. A "barn find" is often a better starting point for a restoration than one that looks nicer and may run and drive.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a picture of my "fresh paint, just needs front floor pan repaired" I picked up years ago. As said beware of undercoating, AKA camouflage.

I call that, just needs a valve cover replaced.