• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What trail tools/extras do you guys carry

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Im going to moab in may and Im curious what everyone carrys. Tool, parts etc.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
Spare parts, extra fluids, tools, fire extinguisher, tow strap, Hi-lift is almost common sense. Last several time a thick 16' ratchet strap has been a day-saver. It has been used to hold down front leaf spring perchs (heep), broken tire carriers and busted motor mount (ch**y). I carry misc bolts, nuts, wires and such that others might not have.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I work off of lists, and the Eagle Scout in me has me carrying parts and tools for the worst possible scenario.

I'm also very meticulous about pre-run inspections on my tow vehicle, trailer and trail rig.

Here's what I go through every time I hit the trails. You're welcome to use them as well. It's a work in progress, if you notice anything that may be a good addition to it, let me know.

Attachments

• Wheelin Checklist - Bolt Torque.pdf
    7.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Wheelin Checklist - Stuff To Bring.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Wheelin Checklist - Tow Rig Tech Checklist.pdf
    11.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Wheelin Checklist - Trail Rig Tech Checklist.pdf
    10.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Wheelin Checklist - Trailer Tech Checklist.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 63

crankman

besides my usual straps,chains,2 snatch blocks,first aid kit, water,motor oil, tranny oil,extra radiator hoses, belts,ponchos, all kinds of tools geez no wonder im so loaded down %) spare tire,change of clothes,snacks,gps :p

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
don't forget a little food. i have a small tool bag from harbor freight i keep in the vehicles with various snacks in them. granola bars, pop tarts, cheese & crackers, maybe some cookies, and a few small bottles of water. you can even get those cans of campbell's soup at hand to keep in there. kellie and i used to snack on things when i did road service and we didn't have time to stop for lunch.

remember if you get broke somewhere, you could be there a while. good for trail rides too, not just break downs.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I work off of lists, and the Eagle Scout in me has me carrying parts and tools for the worst possible scenario.

I'm also very meticulous about pre-run inspections on my tow vehicle, trailer and trail rig.

Here's what I go through every time I hit the trails. You're welcome to use them as well. It's a work in progress, if you notice anything that may be a good addition to it, let me know.

That helps. Thanks
Bill

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Beer, in a cooler with ice, held down with some bungy cords.
If it overheats, I've got fluids.
If something little breaks the bungys can usually fix it.
If something big breaks I can usually trade beer for help/parts fixing it.
Beer is lunch.
If all else fails, I can drink myself to sleep.

ONLY KIDDING (maybe...)

I have an SUV box filled with stuff I usually carry, includes: a spare serpentine belt, spare EEC, spare relays for the EFI, spare wiring, fuses, butt splices, crimp connectors, my EEC test kit, coilover adjuster spanners, tire deflators, spare valve stems, a quart of PS fluid, 2 qts motor oil, 2 qts tranny fluid, 1 gallon 50/50 antifreeze, spare solenoid for the ARB, starting fluid, spare U-joint, folding wheel chock, duct tape, electrical tape, more I'm not thinking of. On top goes the tool box and next to it the cooler.

On the trailer is my spare. Depending on the trail, I may bring the Ready Welder along as well.
Joe

rjlougee

Bronco Guru

Do you find you have OCD issues? I mean that in the nicest possible way, my Wife thinks I'm nuts when I write out lists like that.
Joe

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you find you have OCD issues? I mean that in the nicest possible way, my Wife thinks I'm nuts when I write out lists like that.
Joe

Ohh , I know I'm border line on that myself ....

great lists , just saved them to their own new file to print and laminate.:cool:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Ohh , I know I'm border line on that myself ....

great lists , just saved them to their own new file to print and laminate.:cool:
With your penchant for driving head first into small ponds, you need to make sure wd-40 is on your list. ;)

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California

Excellent lists. Very comprehensive.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I like Gummi's lists. Make sure you carry any special tools. If you installed/changed anything since the last trip, you need to have all the tools it took to do it. Last thing on is always the first thing to give you problems.

Tom

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I always carry a 200+ piece tool set, fire extinguisher,3 gallons of water, gallon of power steering fluid, trans fluid, brake fluid, 2 gallons of antifreeze, gear oil, screw jack, hi-lift, multiple sizes of coolant hose, first aid kit, cooler full of food and beer, drinking water, lots of wire, connectors, snap ring pliers, hub socket, spare mini starter, toilet paper, duct tape, electrical tape, spare front axle shafts (not currently for the D60) hard brake line, jumper cables, air down tool, power tank,pick set, snap strap, 2 come-a-longs, ratchet straps (big and small) some misc wood blocks for jacking and pounding, towels, gloves, sun block, bug spray, extra light bulbs, flashlight and head lamp, spare output shaft and probably more stuff I can't remember.

I have all of that in the Bronco at all times - I carry more stuff in the tow rig. I've got to slim it down a bit - not sure I'll trust it all without the top on... I like to be prepared...

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I have my stuff segragated into seperate sets. If I'm on a one-way trail or going more than an hour away from camp I carry it all. If we aren't getting too far from camp, then stuff like spare starters and axles stay in camp, and I just take the bailing wire duct tape and chewing gum.
Tom