• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what ya'll think? $100 disk brakes...

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Interesting. I don't see what you do for an Ebrake though.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
72_EB said:
Interesting. I don't see what you do for an Ebrake though.

If you really want an ebrake you can install a line lock in your rear brake line. They only cost like $40 and are pretty easy install.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Yeah, that is pretty cool. I would be interested to know what calipers would fit the brackets mentioned for the axle/caliper bracket from Summit. As with any fab job, if you (as in the owner) are not a welder/fabricator, I would think it becomes difficult to get the measurements right (precise directions) for a professional to do the welding, if you can find a "professional" willing to do it. Very cool, though. The way I figure it all in all, your looking at maybe $2-300 by the time you get someone to do the welding with no guarantee. I think you can get a kit from BC and or Toms for just a bit more (~500) and its proven....does that sound too weak or just cautious?

MI-Bronco

Sounds right. Chuck has entire setup (even e-brake) for $557. I think fabing is fun, but brakes are something I don't like to play with.. ... yet

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
'97 and later F-150 rotors will fit over the axle flange without cutting it down. However, the metric bolt circle doesn't fit so you either have to slot the holes or drill new ones on the 5.5" circle. You may also need 16" rims to gain clearance for the caliper, depending on which one you use.

I redrilled the rotors and cut the OD down to 11 3/4" inches. Then I used the Caddy calipers with the e-brake. IMO the rotor is a lot easier to cut down than the axle flange.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
whats the real advantage for disc brakes on the rear? I Understand on for the front, because they are what 'really' stop you on onroad driving. I have discs on the front, and the 11x2 drum kit that currie sells, and I can lock up all 4 35s at any speed. The disc brake kit was only a bill more, but for such a light-weight vehicle, is 4 wheel discs worth it??:?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
huged29 said:
If you really want an ebrake you can install a line lock in your rear brake line. They only cost like $40 and are pretty easy install.

By definfition, an e-brake is a mechanical braking device that will still work if the hydraulic system fails. How is a line lock supposed to meet that requirement?

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Skuzzlebutt said:
By definfition, an e-brake is a mechanical braking device that will still work if the hydraulic system fails. How is a line lock supposed to meet that requirement?
It doesn't and wouldn't pass inspection in NY.

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
just get the calipers for E-brake if you need / want it.
He screwed up bad on that swap!
the rotor is not true on the axle, look at all that rust and junk left on the surface of the axle flange.
AND the rotor is not centered on the studs, bad idea
Here is mine: http://fordfuelinjection.com/bronco/brakes.html

If I wanted E-Brake I would get different calipers and the cables.

maverickconner

I have used this exact setup on my past three broncos, it works great. If you want an Ebrake, just simply upgrade your calipers to the Caddi rear calipers from a 76'-82'(I think it changed in 82). Uses the same mounting setup, and runs a mechanical clamping cable for the ebrake. The biggest advantage I found with doing this is in the rain and mud, there is very little brake fade with the calipers, compared to the drums. This is means no more jerking to the left or right when water or mud gets on them....

On the one I am building right now, I will simply use a line lock.