• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What year bronco is the best to buy performance and reliability wise

G

I am new to the classic 66-77 broncos and I am in the market for one. Yes, I am a jeep man but I am sure to convert! Anyway, I have a 67 that I am very close to buying. Wondering if any of yall know which is best overall and is there any in the SE region of the US I could take a look at? This guy is asking $6000 for it and it still has orig engine and no rebuilding done, but the body is awesome. What do u think? Thanks, Dave
Email me with suggestions. LATTER

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
sounds high, but with no pics it really hard to tell. Your best bet if you dont want to swap a bunch of stuff is to buy a 76-77 EB. GL

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
In 1971 Early Broncos switched to a Dana 44 from a Dana 30. The Dana 30 front end is very undesireable. You need to ask yourself what you want it for. There are a lot of common upgrades that most of us like. Power Steering, disk brakes, power brakes. I suggest reading through the "Tech" section on the left hand margine of this page to get an idea of these. The price seems kind of high for a rig in org. condition with no major maintanance. Remember, this is more than 30 years old. Its all about money.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
My hunt was for a 73 Sport. But found a 67 with all the specials/extras already on it. It was in better shape than most 70s and sold for a great price (800$ running)

The 70's had some of the best drive train options.IMHO

Theres going to be atleast one of two or both factors thats going to drive your buy, and not year since EBs are so close in nature.

Price and Condition-

If you settle for a low price in most instances you will probably have a lot of work to do.

Make sure you study the problems guys are dealing with in here and compare those with your search.

Look for things in your list like Rust in doors and floor pans and tail gates,electrical harness failures,drum brake or disc brakes, power steering or brakes.

hope this helps

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg121951 date=1049594637]
Thats too much.
[/quote]

That is too much!! I just bought a 66 with a frame up and a fresh 289 (20k), D44, Disks up front, new paint and exhaust, and much more for $5000!!! Check out the pick on page 65 second one down (Blue). Be patient and you will find a good deal, it took me 1.5 years to find this one.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If you are looking for collector value, the 67 had the lowest production numbers making it the rarest. If it has no rust, never been in a severe accident and the engine is still a virgin, I would say that it's close to being a fair price. If you plan to wheel it hard, it would be best to do the D44 with discs conversion or buy one already equipped. BH

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
Ok, you're answer is a 1976. It's got the power disc brakes, the dana 44 and the big bearing 9". And plus it's the last year to have the cool chrome gas tank caps instead of the doors...HTH

Jon

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
1973. Has all the latest (minus Front Disk Brakes) but does not have emissions equipment. It does, however, have a 302 with 8.0:1 compression ratio to pass emissions ... extremely anemic ... about 130-odd HP. You will want to do engine work anyway, so go for the latest with options.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Tell him to bring it to so cal if he wants 6k for it. Naturaly the 77 will have the best optiond on it stock. If you'r doing a rebuilt rersearch what parts you are willing to do swaps on and see what year's the mods came on. good options are dana-44 front (72+), big bearing rear, ps, pb.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p The best year will be a personal choice and you will find 11 different answers. If you ask me I would tell you the 66 is best it was first but there all good so go with the one you like the best its going to be your toy and have fun with it good luck. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg122007 date=1049613994]
Ok, you're answer is a 1976. It's got the power disc brakes, the dana 44 and the big bearing 9". And plus it's the last year to have the cool chrome gas tank caps instead of the doors...HTH

Jon
[/quote]
No the 77 it is more aerodynamic cuz it does not have those chrome gas caps sticking out ;D

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=77BroncoWag link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg122068 date=1049650737]
No the 77 it is more aerodynamic cuz it does not have those chrome gas caps sticking out ;D
[/quote]

"....... aerodynamic ......"

Can that be said in the same sentence as Bronco?

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
[quote author=77BroncoWag link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg122068 date=1049650737]
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg122007 date=1049613994]

Jon
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yep, it gets 0.001 additional miles per gallon :eek:

badnewsbronco

Loc.
. wilmington MA
a 66 has some slight diffrances like dash placements and pad,mirrors and it only came with a 6-170. they are rare, over the next 10 years they changed little body wise but big changes in power train, steerig and brakes. the 6 grand sounds high but if it's good shape thats what your gona pay for a 66. i have a 68 so i'm parchal to 60's . anybody can buy a jeep but few can owen a bronco 8)

Lonestar

Loc.
Austin, TX
Getting back to the question...

In Cali and other stated smog laws prohibit you from doing anything major to the engine. I am pretty sure Ca is now exempting 74 and older (know for sure it was 73 and older until some recent law was passed)

In some of the 73's you can find PS and a C4 Auto.

you get the D44 which was introduced in 71

Disc brakes - easy and cheap swap
Brake booster - few hundred, again very easy

I know everyone has opinions on what their Bronco is worth.... I use a very simple calc.

3,000 - 4,000 to start

Add on the cost of buying the parts you want equiped on the Bronco (labor not included)

Think heavely about Rust and pain condition - I hear all the time that people are spending 2K + for a paint Job.

All that said, If you can pick up a tight 67 for 6K w/ a couple of upgrades/mods that is rust free and had good paint, You may be doing better than all of the people dumping 10 K into their Bronco's

I bough mine for 3700 - 73 C4, PS, Lift, tires and a new home done paint job and am already 4000-5000 more into it.

All depends on how much time you want to spend wrenching!

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=Dennis link=board=5;threadid=16054;start=0#msg121953 date=1049595412]
In 1971 Early Broncos switched to a Dana 44 from a Dana 30. The Dana 30 front end is very undesireable. You need to ask yourself what you want it for. There are a lot of common upgrades that most of us like. Power Steering, disk brakes, power brakes. I suggest reading through the "Tech" section on the left hand margine of this page to get an idea of these. The price seems kind of high for a rig in org. condition with no major maintanance. Remember, this is more than 30 years old. Its all about money.
[/quote]I agree(although 71 is a split year- 1st half had Dana 30's. I had one) Also, if in California, pre 74 means no smog so you can do whatever you want to the engine.

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I think that it has less to do with the year of the bronco and more to do with the what the previous owner did to it. I bought mine for $6200 and it didn't run well and had a terrible body. But, I figured that was all stuff that took more time than money. It already had a $1700 lift kit, $650 seats, $700 roll bar, tuffy console,n.p. 435, power steering, front disk brakes, Brand new tires and rims, plus all the stuff I can't think of.

I wouldn't let anyone tell you a specific year to buy, unless you are going for a stock collector bronco. Most of them have been modified already anyway.