• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what year did ford start the gas doors?

calger

Loc.
WESTERN ILLINOIS
I am new, and just starting to look for my first bronco, and really like the looks of the ones with the gas door's vice the ones with the gas cap exposed. Was it a year they started, or a model?
And does any one know the name of the the color of the copper or rust type brown?
Hope these were not dumb ??? thanks cody

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
There were a couple of variations of light brown or copper - usually code R or Z -

Light Ginger Metallic
Light Copper Metallic

I think at times Ford called the same color different names in different years. I have a 74 Ranger which is the code R Ginger. It is slightly less reddish than some of the other light or medium browns I have seen.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Technically '77's were the 1st & only year for gas doors , but .... I've come across several '76's with them . Just another EB inconsistency .. %)
And no , somebody didn't add them !

Broncology

The 77' came with the gas cap doors, as well as the big bearing 9'' real axle. That year also had disc brakes up front. 77' was a good year!!!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Scoop said:
There were a couple of variations of light brown or copper - usually code R or Z -

Light Ginger Metallic
Light Copper Metallic

I think at times Ford called the same color different names in different years. I have a 74 Ranger which is the code R Ginger. It is slightly less reddish than some of the other light or medium browns I have seen.

The names of the paints apparently were made up by the sales brochure department. not only did the name of a color change from year to year, it would be different on different models within the same year.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
stevew said:
Technically '77's were the 1st & only year for gas doors , but .... I've come across several '76's with them . Just another EB inconsistency .. %)
And no , somebody didn't add them !
You learn something everyday! ;D Thanks..........