• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What year will work?

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
If I buy a early bronco with a old 302, which year 302 or 351's would work to replace it. The bellhousing's are the same as far as I know, are the motor mounts the same aswell?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Any year of SBF will fit the same.
When they switched to hydraulic clutches ('82 maybe) they stopped drilling the hole for the clutch bar bracket.
They changed the balancing of the motors in the early '80s so you cant use older flywheels & dampers on newer motors.
Size andshape of the flywheels varied a bit over the years. They all will bolt to any motor but may not work with certain torque converters, clutches, starters, & bell housings.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, If I found a complete efi motor I should have no problems. Also would the AOD trans be the only way to get both high and low gears for offroad and for highway. Or did any manuals come close to the ratio spread? Was there only the 3 sp stock?

OP
OP
B

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
Duff has a adapter and a shifter for a top cover 4 speed trans switch. I think is the way I will go, what vehicles did they come in? Would a car trans work or only a truck.

OP
OP
B

BC boy

Loc.
BC Canada
Thanks for the help guys! I found the trans info section on here and I got most of the info I needed. I apreciate the input, hopefully I'll get a start on my project bronco sooner rather than later. Sean