• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats Right, Whats Wrong?

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
I friend of mine just got a cage from a well know builder. Upon inspection, he found the cage was way out of wack, so he contacted the builder. The builder is laying blame on his fabricator, and not offering to take the cage back and send him a new one, just to ship it back to the fabricator so he can "fix It". What would you do?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
What do you mean by "way out of wack"? Are the dimensions not right, are there cracks in the welds, or are they just plain "booger" welds? Is the design not what he asked for?

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
68Steed said:
I friend of mine just got a cage from a well know builder. Upon inspection, he found the cage was way out of wack, so he contacted the builder. The builder is laying blame on his fabricator, and not offering to take the cage back and send him a new one, just to ship it back to the fabricator so he can "fix It". What would you do?

IMO he is not a builder unless he built the cage, Maybe a designer/salesman. In any case if he sold you the cage, he should honor its return if it is defective. I would demand a new cage or a full refund.

OP
OP
Krawln68

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Okay, you can call him the designer, whatever. By out of wack, i mean the center hoop does not line up with the front and rears, and because of that it was assembled out of wack.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I would say if there is something definatly wrong with the cage then whoever you bought it from should pay to have it shipped to the "builder" and back to you. I can't immagine the cost of having a welded cage shipped though.

Was this a welded and complete cage shipped to you?

How do you know the cage is out of whack? Be carful if you are using your Bronco as the gauge to measure the cage by, your Bronco might be the item that is out of whack.

Another option is to negotiate with the vendor and builder to have a local shop "tweek" the cage in to the correct shape and charge them for the work.

If you are just being picky and/or trying to back out of the deal using this as an excuse........won't go there!

OP
OP
Krawln68

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
I wish i could show you the pictures, but we are trying to keep the names out of it. This has nothing to do with being picky. The cage was measured on the ground with straight edges, string lines, and plumb bobs. If i remember correctly, the center hoop is off to the passenger an 1 1/4. Also, the foot plates look they were made from scrap steel.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
broncolove said:
IMO he is not a builder unless he built the cage, Maybe a designer/salesman. In any case if he sold you the cage, he should honor its return if it is defective. I would demand a new cage or a full refund.

If someone sells a kit, and the kit was assembled incorrectly (which sounds like the case here) There's no way you can hold the original seller responsible.

If some parts of the kit are defective, that is a different story. But the fabricator should not have began assembling the kit without first inspecting the parts.

Was the assembler a professional who know how much rollcages tend to warp if they are welded just sitting in a driveway. Ideally it should be done on a jig, or bolted in place in the vehicle it being made for. I know of cases where the cage was tack welded together while it was bolted to the floor of the vehicle, and then after removing it to weld it up proper in the shop, the still warped too much to be usable.

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Skuzzlebutt said:
If someone sells a kit, and the kit was assembled incorrectly (which sounds like the case here) There's no way you can hold the original seller responsible.

If some parts of the kit are defective, that is a different story. But the fabricator should not have began assembling the kit without first inspecting the parts.
I was under the impression that the seller was the middle man. I.E. He sold the Cage and then had his fabricator build it. I.E. What the purchaser recieved was the assembled cage as a final product. If so then it is the sellers responsibility to make it right. This would be like Ford telling you that you need to go directly through borg warner to get a transfer case fixed on a brand new vehicle because "borg warner" was the one that built it.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
If the "builder" is offering to pay to ship it back to the "fabricator" to make it right and then have it shipped back to you, it sounds to me like he's standing behind the product and is willing to make it right. Unless it's something that can't be repaired, which doesn't sound like it's the case, then I see no reason to demand a whole new cage instead of having it fixed.

Just my opinion based on the very limited info you've given us so far.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
We can't really come to a conclusion on this one, yet. The whole story is still a bit hazy. Was it welded together by a pro? Or was it a buddy in his second year of metal shop?

OP
OP
Krawln68

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Well, im doing my best without giving out names and exact details. The cage was bought and paid for, then received completly assembled. After he discovered the cage was tweaked, he contacted the seller. The seller said someone else builds them and the builder must have messed up. Now he is saying it must have been tweaked in shipping, which is impossible considering how tweaked it is( and if just tweaked from shipping, i wouldnt run it in my rig anyway). *Update*-Apparentley he is trying to do right and arranging for another cage to be shipped, so who knows whats to become of this mass of metal in my friends garage. And no, this is not me, this cage is a family cage, i have yet to find a nice half cabe cage for my rig.

Broncology

i have yet to find a nice half cabe cage for my rig.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that the truth!! I am waiting on cage to build a half-cab cage.

OP
OP
Krawln68

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Broncology, i wasnt aware CAGE was building cages. Paco, to post pics would let people know who's cage, and who's rig it is, so i can't.

crab

Bronco Guru
Hey, 68steed............I'm not sure, but are you talking about Trevor Kendall's cage? If so, let me know, I have a few things I would like to say. If there is ever a problem with one of our "Crab Cages" or the service you recieve, don't hesitate to post MY name and pics of MY product ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!

Last edited: